Community Game Reviews!

Here’s how this works: put a game in here that is particularly good (doesn’t have to be your own), and if you don’t, I’ll probably set it up as a rating poll. (Idea from @Recryptech)

I’ll start with my favourite.

Art

0 voters

Gameplay

0 voters

Overall

0 voters

How to make a number rating poll:
First, build a poll.
Hit the settings cog in the corner, and go to number rating.
Make the max 10, and set the name.

9 Likes

It’s Gamouggin’ time!

Gameplay

0 voters

Art

0 voters

Overall

0 voters

5 Likes

lets go guys

2 Likes

Yooooooooooooo

3 Likes

This is a brutally honest way to get feedback, I like it! Tbh kinda surprised this hasn’t been seen sooner for non-jam situations

5 Likes
Gameplay

0 voters

Art

0 voters

Overall

0 voters

4 Likes

I really liked this one! Very fun, loved the vibe and how in-depth the environments were! Gave me August Silence vibes, but more fantasy instead of sci-fi horror. Well done! Can’t wait to see more:D

Do you have a topic for updates for this one? I’d like to keep an eye on this project.

7 Likes

They post their dev log stuff here if you want to check it out

4 Likes

Thank you!
Yes I do @Recryptech just posted it so check it out :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Who gives Gamougg low ratings and why

I’m not offended, but I want logical morphenomenal reasoning

2 Likes

I haven’t played all gamougg games, but I have played quite a bit to know how most usually or end up being.

Here is a review I did on Taile Gamougg 4

Summary

From playing and reviewing this game from also playing and seeing others. The games definitely lack quite a bit. Most have stupid amount of controls where almost every key on your keyboard does something. The mechanics are pretty poor and some enemies either get stuck, only jump when you jump, or are too difficult to even bother fighting.
The art is the only thing going for the game, but the level layouts are incredibly difficult to even navigate considering it’s hard to tell what a background or level object they even are.
There are some use of default and recolored default sprites which I understand they are used as a building stone for sprites, but considering that John_Shrekinson has been on for quite a while, default sprites almost seem quite lazy.

I know the lack of animations is supposed to be a Gamougg rule or something, but I feel that character animations is another attempt at cutting corners because the game feels frozen at times without any animations at all. Some objects and weapons will have animations, but that’s about it.

The story is “unique”. I have quite a hard time following it considering its supposed to be humorous? The dialogue seems way to formal to sound like natural communications and some of the characters seem to already know what’s going on as if everything was purposely scripted.
Other than that, the story is what makes the Gamougg games pretty unique from everything else.

I could continue on, but the review I posted should explain a bit more.

This relies mostly on Taile Gamougg 4 and the half a dozen other games I stumbled upon. It might not relate to any of the other games or the ones listed could have been updated after this review was posted.

4 Likes

Look at this little room I found

4 Likes

:turkey: Review Game of the Day . 11/24/22

Art

0 voters

Gameplay

0 voters

Overall

0 voters

1 Like

@eee_team please stop trolling. rating everything a 1 is literally not funny. you’re ruining the point of this.

5 Likes

Review Game of the Day . 11/26/22

Art

0 voters

Gameplay

0 voters

Overall

0 voters

3 Likes

Isn’t that cool though? So many awesome features!

Look at the Call of Duty Flowlab memes before you start being defaultphobic again.

Big issues, I will tell John

2 Likes

new game to review:

Art

0 voters

Gameplay

0 voters

Overall

0 voters

1 Like

Some games it would be alright if it was at least organized. Although this game has the key setup so unorganized and the keys are linked to the most random of abilities. I’m sure you can say it’s cool, but for people who casually play games, it’s horrendous having to remember what all does what. Sometimes I don’t even know what’s a shield, attack, or just a random skin change.

For one, Phobia means fear of something. Never once did I ever express fear about default sprites. It’s a great stepping stone for when you first start, but after a while, it seems like a lazy excuse to make quick and simple art for a game. You won’t ever grow as a developer using someone else’s art. Unless you’re apart of a team of users where everyone grows in experience together.

3 Likes

After playing a lot of Gamougg I realized that a lot of the buttons are just extras and contribute nothing to the game but bonus entertainment value. All the controls that matter are fairly simple, at least in Gamougg 4 and Ligma.

I’m not sure if I disagree with you or you’re just a :nerd_face:. Honestly John says you are very based, but default hate is never okay.

You’re missing the point. I don’t want to argue any longer since we’re just filling up this discussion without any good reason.
I don’t hate default sprites, they are a good place holder for sprites you need immediately for testing or just on a game mainly for testing code. I would rather work on code for a testing game than have to spend the same amount of time, if not, more just working on the art.

Now the only reason I do dislike most users trying to publish games with default sprites is that I know that they have great potential and skill that they are just wasting by throwing default or recolored default sprites into their game. If you want to grow as a game developer you want to at least make your own art. Many of us struggle starting out and I understand, many of my first games mostly used the default sprites because I was still learning pixel art, and I’m still learning. I wouldn’t have been what I’ve been today if I relied on other peoples work.
Art is a major aspect of a game. You want to make your game so it’s unique and other people know that style belongs to you. I was a bit rough saying that is lazy to use default sprites, which I know they can be time saving and quick shortcuts to finish a game with a ton of background objects, but even just a single block can make an entire level look poor. It mostly depends on what you are going for, but art can be a majority of the game. If every game had the same default sprites, there wouldn’t be any originality and everything would just be bland.

The default sprites are there for new users to try out and test out code and learn on it. Although there isn’t anything against veterans using default sprites, but a lot of developers on here have created their own styles over the years of practice and some refuse to use default sprites knowing they can make it theirselves and make it fit the game better.

I don’t “hate” the default sprites or have a “phobia” of it either. I just don’t like when users add default sprites in their games knowing full well they can use their skills to make better art. A lot of people have talent in pixel art and they are a lot better than most people. Even if they don’t agree.

Anyway sorry for filling this thread up with unrelated content. I won’t speak any more of this topic.

6 Likes