Continuing the discussion from I FINALLY DID IT! CELEBRATION TIME!

:slightly_frowning_face:

0-Humanoid Character Template-2022
Is this shape an improvement? It is the latest version of the template I use for making other characters, usually fanart. Unless the character is Gamougg himself or a similarly designed character, I use this template. For reference, here are its predecessors:
1img_asset_11936500
dude base no outline
dude base
gamoog style humanoid base

remember that anime sprite making tutorial I shared recently? yeah thatā€™s not just for ā€œthe anime styleā€, itā€™s for character design in general.
from what I can see with your new body shape iterations, I think it looks pretty wonky. look up anatomy references! not even real life animation references! there are tons of heavily stylized character who pay attention to anatomy. even sonic the hedgehog has a solid anatomy for that artstyle. With a lot of things, especially in game development, thereā€™s a reason for almost everything, including the style. a weird off brand lego looking character CAN work, but for the theme of the games that youā€™re making with it, it just makes it look like it was drawn by a kid and feels out of place, quite honestly. I think youā€™re restricting yourself by not seeing what other kinds of body types might work with your character. itā€™s like drawing a stick man and trying to make it fit in an anime style

then again, this is more advanced stuff and you shouldnā€™t feel pressured to do what Iā€™m suggesting, Iā€™m mostly commenting from a more critical design point of view

3 Likes

3 Likes