Controls... WASD vs. arrow keys?

I’m still gradually learning how to do all of that… trying to, at least. Mostly trying to teach myself, without much success.

I want to eventually learn exactly how every single function works in the game. Taking it as baby steps right now, testing one thing at a time until I have it working.

I’m mostly just asking general questions here to make sure I’m not wasting my time on projects / functions / features etc. that will ultimately result in dead ends.

Examples: wanted to make sure it was okay for me to make a NSFW game, before making one only to end up getting banned for making it.

Wanted to see if I could save progress from one game to another (answer: no)… so I’ll have to plan my future projects accordingly, knowing that I can’t carry saves over.

Currently just wanted to make sure I’m not wasting my time and confusing or annoying people by including both arrow key and WASD commands.

2 Likes

I’m… Just not going to ask why you wanted to make an nsfw game.

2 Likes

LOL Grand Theft Auto: Flowlab Edition :grin:

I’m an adult and I do occasionally play adult themed games.

2 Likes

I… Am also not going to heart that comment. I could play those games but find them too immoral, but to each their own, it’s a free country.

1 Like

I’ll go ahead and like your comment. I don’t condone much of what the characters do in those games, but that’s part of what I like about video games. Is that you can “pretend” to be bad, without actually hurting anyone IRL. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just don’t see that pretending to be a brutal monster of society, and taking joy in it, is good in any way. That’s why things like paintball is not allowed for college students.

1 Like

I would also like to say we can discuss this civilly, which means we’re already doing better than Twitter :laughing:

I understand your perspective now and have more respect towards those who share your opinion, but my stance remains for my personal convictions.

2 Likes

Understandable. I look at it like a movie or a book, though. I think the vast majority of people who enjoy watching The Godfather series, probably don’t agree with the ideas of murder, organized crime, etc. But they still enjoy the movies.

1 Like

Sweet Home Alabama

2 Likes

I don’t watch those movies often either lol. I see it different when it’s an antagonist as well though, for example, the Joker, you know he’s bad, you don’t accept it, but it realizes some terrible things in the world for the sake of immersion, not brutality.

1 Like

I grew up watching and reading and playing a lot of movies, books, games etc. with very questionable content. I always realized that there was a separation between fiction and reality. In a video game, if the goal is to shoot and kill something, that’s what I’ll do. In real life, obviously that’s not an action to be taken lightly. I’ve killed probably at least hundreds of thousands of virtual sprites in video games. I’ve killed 0 people in reality, and don’t ever intend to, unless it was one of those scenarios where it becomes absolutely necessary… and I hope I never actually find myself in one of those scenarios.

3 Likes

I agree. But you can also agree that fantasizing these things can be dangerous.

1 Like

I don’t take particular joy in it. Even when I play a video game, I try to play as “the good guy”. But I’m separated enough from the fictional world, that I can have “fun” robbing a bank in a game while also realizing how foolish it would be to try to rob a bank in real life. And even in the game itself, if I can rob the bank without having to kill any virtual sprites in the process, even better.

But you questioned why I would want to make a NSFW game. The game I’m currently working on is a war game. It’s not going to be excessively violent, but it does suggest that virtual sprites are getting killed. Is war immoral? Maybe. Probably. But is it sometimes inevitable? Unfortunately, yes.

I guess it’s probably not the best basis for a “fun” video game, but someone should probably tell that to Call of Duty and Fortnite and the thousand other first person shooters out there.

I already made what was supposed to be an innocent fun family friendly game on here, and nobody was interested at all.

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with that argument, well said. I think Sporknife is beyond nsfw… but that’s another story for another day. :laughing:

1 Like

Believe me, I have no interest in trying to corrupt anyone. Any games I make with questionable content, I will label as such, and leave it up to the individual to decide whether it’s a game they want to play or not. My current project and the one after are mostly family friendly, with some mild violence and maybe references to alcohol or mild “suggestive” content at most. But I do have a “gang” type game in my long term project list that will not at all be appropriate for kids.

You have to keep in mind that probably half the gamers out there are adults who grew up playing video games. Many of us are perfectly okay with playing games rated M for Mature. Not for everyone, obviously. And it’s not necessarily for nefarious purposes. Just that sometimes we want to play a game that feels gritty and uncensored and real.

3 Likes

I thought you meant you wanted to recreate gta, not a war game though. War games are good to show the whiney gen Zs and Millennials like us what we don’t want, lol. All games have their purposes, and personally I think some games are healthy for some and not others. For example a war vet might live healthier playing COD, whilst a depressed teen with no firearms training should go nowhere near a game like that.

1 Like

I am working on a war game, but I also want to create a GTA styled game. My ultimate goal is to make dozens of games from multiple different genres… everything from educational, family friendly, to gritty games where you work for an organized criminal organization, and tons of others in between.

Hence why I upgraded to Indie. Unlimited games.

I’ve been a gamer for many years, and I’ve enjoyed many different kinds of games.

Though yes, I realize that certain games are only appropriate for certain people. Which is why I’m starting to include ratings for my games to warn players ahead of time if the content might be questionable. Most of my games will be PG/Teen rated… but at least one or two will be rated “mature”.

2 Likes

On this note, I will say that there is a reason why I avoid social media generally as a rule. I use the internet as a tool to learn and share ideas, not to get into arguments. I have no interest in that part at all. If someone disagrees with me on a subject, I’m happy to share my reasonings behind my own beliefs, and I’ll also respect theirs in turn. I don’t expect to change anybody’s mind, nor should they expect to change mine. Opinions are all subjective. Civility should be universal.

4 Likes