CubeTales (And NeoMetal) Series Lore

Hint: Scroll up a fair bit and you’ll find them

1 Like

I think it’s Doctor Spyke.

And you’d be wrong.

1 Like

Just realized I have 2 hivemind-like beings in the form of Void and the recently developed cosmic blight.

Time to decide which on gets more developed first.

2 Likes

Trying to write a cruel, unfair world without treading into edgelord territory is actually kinda tough because there needs to be a method to the madness.

Things can’t just be awful for the sake of being awful, there needs to be established cause, effect, and rules for why it’s awful.

That’s where I’m going to try to take more inspiration from things like Metal Gear and Armored Core.

Apart from the obvious anti-war and anti-corporate messages in those games, they also portray a more hopeful message.

Armored Core in particular is surprisingly hopeful given the setting(s) and gameplay, it’s always placed the indomitable human spirit above all other forces. Controlling mastermind AI, powerful corporations, unfathomably powerful machines developed specifically to destroy humanity, all have been stopped by one person trying their best to do what’s right. Even an absolute sore loser character like Iguazu was able to overpower the AI he was assimilated into.

I’d like to capture something similar in my work here. Even if the world has gone to ■■■■, you should still try your best to make it a better place.

3 Likes

A good example is real world politics.

If you think about it, everybody of power or government body has their own ideas on how their country or how the world should be controlled. This can eventually lead to conflict between nations, when it really depends on the moral values of the audience themselves.

Not sure if you see the new fallout Tv series, but it explains it very well. I don’t want to spoil it, but even after the nuclear fallout, there is still conflict between factions because they have conflicting views on how the world should be ruled, either by using fear, or unity, etc.

When I worked on my book series, I had developed a very similar concept. At the beginning, all sides seem equal and it’s up the reader to decide what side is truly evil or good, but some factions or empires have more radical ways of going about their conquest or ruling than others, making it a bit more obvious, but they have their own ideology behind it.

For example, the Perfectionists don’t see the value in standard life and just think of them as lower beings, almost like just mere insects, which is why they don’t see the harm in removing these pests from the universe to expand their own empire. The Guardians of Mordil don’t agree with the idea of conquering or claiming territory for their own, so they simply create it themselves.

In conclusion, you just want to make it, so every side has a decent ideology behind their motives. So that it’s not just a generic good versus evil scenerio.

2 Likes

Funny that you mentioned that, considering I recently started a playthrough of Fallout New Vegas, and I’ve definitely noticed the factions being shades of grey (although I’m not particularly a fan of the legion’s slavery and honour killings).

I’ll definitely try to have some moral grey areas in my story, even the main characters have done some deplorable stuff (even if they didn’t know better).

2 Likes

All the Tarranus research logs can now be read (with proper timestamps) on the wiki:

2 Likes

Since NeoMetal is a part of the CubeTales universe, I figured it deserved its own wiki page.

(Someone please reply)

2 Likes