Dark Ninja - Galactic Games [SCRAPPED SOUNDTRACKS]

I only want to post the link to the game when it is playable. At the moment, the only things I have made are the player, the random terrain generator, and one Oni enemy. If you attempted to play the game, not much will occur. Plus, I want to make sure that most of what is going on behind-the-scenes stays a secret (like the plot). Releasing the game link early could spoil those secrets.

I appreciate your feedback, though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

oh ok . i have a game for you to test. [CLICK ME!!!](http://Splatoon 2: Blocky Edition (Splatoon remake))1-10 @MetaNinja

SPOILER ALERT!!!SPLATOON 3 IS COMING OUT NEXT YEAR!!!

I already know that

Well then, the poll is closed now. By a unanimous decision by @browngr, @Ramshacklegamestudios, and @MelloJello, the third music option will be selected as the main boss music. Thank you guys for voting! :slight_smile:
I will continue polishing it up and I may post the final version here once that is done.

@GameMaker107_sBrother - I’ll check out the game when I am able to.

2 Likes

So I finally finished working on the first enemy… and already the game is quite the challenge. Even though this first enemy is weak compared to what I will work on in the future (it only does 2-10 damage per hit), I have died 7 times before I finally got to complete the level.

I might add a difficulty setting that allows players to determine whether they will play the game on casual mode, normal mode, or nightmare mode. These modes would change the amount of damage that the monsters deal (except for Demons and Reapers).

You cannot complete the game in casual mode.

2 Likes

A preview of what the game banner is going to look like (this ain’t the title screen though, at least not yet):

I just realized I need to improve my drawing skills in order to make the cutscenes…

7 Likes

You are correct super tiny thing i can barely read

1 Like

If you really need help art-wise I am here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks good! Can’t wait for more updates on the game!

2 Likes

Each level has many gamemodes. The goal is different for each gamemode, but for one of them (called Escape), the goal is to grab the Sunstone at the end of the level.
pixilart-drawing (4)

2 Likes

Can you send me the link to the game please

Sorry, but the game isn’t very playable at the moment. There are no goals, no menus, and only one level. So if I were to send you the link, there wouldn’t be much to do.

Ok. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

I just tested the game with gamepad controls, and it feels SO MUCH easier to play the game. I am definitely adding controller controls into the game.

Player Controls - Gamepad
D-Pad or Left Analog Stick - Move left & right
A Button - Jump
X Button - Melee Attack
Y Button - Ranged Attack (requires ammo depending on hero)
Left Trigger - Heavy Attack (requires energy)
Right Trigger - Finisher (requires energy)
Shoulder Buttons - Scroll Inventory
B Button - Use Currently Selected Item

1 Like

The next few teasers I am going to be revealing are a few sneak-peaks at the game’s many, many, many cutscenes. Most cutscenes are not skippable, even if you have viewed them already. This is because Dark Ninja is heavily story-driven. Missing out on even a single one of these cutscenes can leave you confused about where the plot is even going.
You could just spam the “next” button each time a speech bubble pops up, but I still recommend that, unless you are trying to speedrun the game, you do not do this.

With all that being said, here is a scene taken from the very beginning of this grand adventure (NOT FINAL DESIGN):

pixil-frame-2 (6)

"Your friends are one of the most important people in your life. True friends will always care about you and love you, no matter what. Sure, there may be a few mishaps and obstacles, but that is normal. Friends will always be there for each other. Friends will never abandon one another.
"Always take care of your friends. Always show them how grateful you are to be with them. Always show them how much you love them.
"If you don’t, you’ll regret it for the rest of your life… Especially when tragedy strikes."

~ Narrator

4 Likes

From the narrator, I think there will be dead children in this game, yay :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I have been working on some soundtracks for the game, and here is one that I am planning on adding to the desert themed levels (Scorching Sands, Steaming Springs, and Laughing Lake).

Wet Dry Trek

I also made some changes to the boss music that three people voted for last time:

Broken Sky
Hunted (Boss is Enraged)

Hunted will also appear in Monster Maze (when I finish that), but considering how the bosses undergo somewhat scary transformations while enraged, I felt it was appropriate here. Plus, it is one of the most fast paced music I have created thus far.

I also forgot to mention: you are not allowed to use any of these soundtracks except “Wet Dry Trek”.

2 Likes

I decided to make one minor change: in the past, falling down a bottomless pit would instantly kill the player. However, due to the abundance of tiny, 1 tile sized holes that the player can easily slip through, I have decided that bottomless pits are no longer lethal… that much.

Instead, like other RPG games, falling down a bottomless pit will warp the player back to the spot where they jumped from, at the expense of a portion of their health. This rule, however, won’t apply in Nightmare mode, as the old death-by-falling mechanics will still apply.

2 Likes

Under normal circumstances, you will open one of my games with this intro:

However, for Dark Ninja, it will be different. I am starting a game series that will be developed called “Galaxian Games Specials”.

So when and how is a game considered part of the “specials” series? For a game to be part of this series, it must follow these criteria:

• Unique Universe - The game takes place in its own unique universe (the only exception is if the game is a prequel, sequel, or spin-off).
  • Unique Gameplay - The gameplay is different from other games that are part of the Specials series (the only exception is if the game is a prequel, sequel, or spin-off).
  • Heavily Story-based - The entire game is based on a central storyline, and the game’s events follow that specific story. This may mean multiple endings for that game (for Dark Ninja, two endings are planned).
  • No Lonely Protagonists - The main protagonist is not alone. They are joined by their friends, and you have the ability to play with any of those characters. The game doesn’t have to be multiplayer for this criteria to be met.
  • Mature/Sensitive Topics - The game deals with themes or topics that may be sensitive to certain players (e.g. depression, genocide, etc.). Dark Ninja deals with two: death of a loved one and violation of human rights under authoritarian regimes. This does mean that you would have to be around 13 years or older to play these games, but that is sort of the goal.

If a game does not meet 2 or more of these criteria, then it is not a part of the Specials series. Pixel Sports, Porky’s Nightmare, and Stealthy Ninja do not fall into most of these criteria (Porky’s Nightmare and Stealthy Ninja pretty much don’t meet any criteria), so therefore they are not part of the Specials series. Now, not all of my future games will fall into the Specials series, but some of them will. Because those games have ambitious storylines and mechanics, they take the longest to develop, so they may come rarely. Such is the case for Dark Ninja: it is a big, ambitious game, and is unlike anything I have tried before. Luckily, I am making good progress, and I am proud of the game at its current state.

2 Likes