Embedded Web Browser

Hi, I’m super new to FlowLab, what a cool little game engine, loving it so far.

Question:
When you open an URL from within your app, is there a way it embed that Web Browser with your app? Now it just seem to open a webpage on your phones default browser.
Then if you close your URL link within the browser, it goes back to your App.

Thanks

3 Likes

So far, i dont think you can embed other websites into a flowlab game but, if you create your own website or url you can embed a search wiget into that.

Now here im not really sure what your asking…

1 Like

I was an old GameSalad user and in my app i could load in a webpage within the app. I guess it had a built in web browser? Then when i close or exit the webpage, the user would still be within the app. FlowLab seems to load the webpage externally.

2 Likes

You are correct, but it sounds like a nice feature request for flowlab.

2 Likes

is there a feature request section some where? :slightly_smiling_face:
if its not a huge task to add this in, it would make my life a lot easier right now.

1 Like

You just found it :slight_smile:

I’ll look into it, I have no idea how much effort this would be TBH. It sounds like a lot, but you never know…

2 Likes

After a few minutes of quick investigation, the answer is that it looks sort of easy. It would be pretty simple to add on mobile (ios and android), but quite a bit more work to add for mac & windows.

I’m also not exactly sure how it would work from a logic flow perspective. Would it cover the entire game screen? If so, then how would you close it to get back to the game?

3 Likes

@grazer, something like this could be its own object (like a forced square that you can set the dimensions to). Just have on/off embed behavior and just allow triggers. I may be going over my head…

3 Likes

Oh that’s super great, thanks.
GameSalad displayed the full window browser, but with a little “X” icon or it may have been just a back arrow icon in the top left hand corner to return back to the app from where you left.
I think there was an option to show the URL or switch it off, or even add a label in its place.
I would only use this feature within a mobile app.
Thanks for hope.

1 Like

@CheesyDs can you tell me what it is you’re trying to accomplish? That will help me to understand what sort stuff people might want to use this for.

2 Likes

This is the app i’m working on at the moment.

So it basically just a hub to other website. When you close a URL window, to goes back to there it was called from. The main menu. It’s just been my experience with Apple, they want “the users experience to be exceptional” lol. They mean to keep everything within the app, opening external web pages is a big no, no from them.

But really, I want to add a webpage within my game app too at a later date, so gamers can check out our other games.

Plus i want to add my food company online ordering with a game app that will cross promote.
Order your food and then play the game whiles you wait.

2 Likes

Hi, is there any chance this is a go ahead?
If so, will it take long to add in? Thanks for any help in advance.

1 Like