Fauxport City is Under Development!

Dang that video is so laggy…

Never mind, I was wrong (to see my dumbness, click the pencil symbol on the top right part of this text)

Things I’ve Added Today:

• Race Results Screen
  • New Camera Object
  • Fixed some bugs that dealt with the save behavior
2 Likes

hmmmmmmm

2 Likes

how’d you break it- it only allows 8 characters…

EDIT: that is 8 characters nevermind.

2 Likes

Today’s Update!

got a lot done:

• Parking Garage has been added
  • Fixed music not playing in some menu category levels
  • Fixed some bugs for new users being taken to menu before tutorial
  • Added a 180 degree street light
  • Worked on controls a bit
  • You can now go to the city (not even close to finished) from the menu

When the zoom behaviour is released I’ll be doing a lot with that too!
@TGW, @sans7657, @hihilogic, @browngr (sorry for the pings just thought you might be interested in the announcement, let me know if you don’t want to be pinged and I won’t do it again, if you WANT to be pinged and I didn’t ping you, let me know)

4 Likes

I am very intersted :slight_smile:
Keep doin’ what you’re doin’, homie

2 Likes

Although the contrast here needs to be fixed :frowning:

3 Likes

Agreed, been thinking about that.

3 Likes

's cool :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No apologies necessary, keep me in the loop! I’m a fan of your work. :+1:

One of these days, you must teach me the ways of the force.

3 Likes

Also, forgot to reply back. I fixed the contrast by making the letters white.

4 Likes

For the drift, you should have the car move towards whichever corner you’re drifting to.
That sentence might not make sense, so here’s an example:

I am turning right. I start drifting. Instead of moving “forward”, I move towards the angle of the right corner of the car.

4 Likes

That makes no sense- explain a bit more?

For some of my testers movement might also be broken, I deleted most of the movement saves and if you had “realistic” as your controls, your movement will be broken. I will fix this.

3 Likes

This looks coolio, can’t wait to see more :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

It’s difficult to fully explain… people oftentimes think of cars as being simple machines with simple mechanics, but they’re actually quite complicated. Overall, they are guided by the same laws of physics as any other “moveable” object in the universe. But every car will behave differently, depending on a ton of different factors.

Front wheel drive cars for example. The car’s engine is “pulling” the car from the front. A rear wheel drive car is “pushing” the car from the back. An “all wheel drive” car is both pulling and pushing, but - not both at the same time, they have differentials and other mechanisms that determine which wheel should be pulling and which wheel should be pushing at any given time, depending on the speed and angle of the car…

If it sounds complicated, it’s because it is. The earliest original automobiles basically operated like mechanical bicycles, propelling you in a direction, with a wheel to turn it if you wanted to go in a different direction. That was back when cars only traveled at about 20 miles per hour or so. Modern cars are so much more complex, incorporating gears and computerized systems to increase the speed of one tire while decreasing the speed of another in order to keep the car “mostly stable” and not killing the driver. Even basic things like power steering and antilock brakes - they exist mostly to make a car safe to drive for the average non-professional driver.

Without even delving into other even more complicated stuff like transmission gear ratios and air/fuel mixtures, camshaft timing etc… since we’re mostly focusing on how a car moves when affected by physics, keep in mind that most cars are front engine alignment. Meaning that the majority of the car’s weight is in the front, so the back end is more likely to “swing out” vs. the front end. There are in fact mid and rear engine cars, but they are generally much trickier to drive specifically because they are more likely to “swing out” in the front - which can be very, very dangerous, especially if you’re traveling at a high rate of speed. It’s much easier to recover from a rear end fishtail than it is to recover from losing control in the front.

Then you have other factors like tire grip, road friction etc. Overall, it would be very difficult to create an ultra realistic driving game in Flowlab. It doesn’t have to be perfectly realistic, though. The vast majority of video games aren’t even close to realistic. I mean come on… you get shot 12 times in a first person shooter and you’re still running around, then you pick up a health pack and 2 seconds later you’re fine? :laughing: Video games don’t have to be fully realistic. If they were, probably every gamer ever would be spending most of their play time in virtual hospitals.

3 Likes

Basically, when you’re drifting don’t move at the direction of the front of you car (meaning forward), but more to the front corners.

3 Likes

So you mean, the car turns and slides… but doesn’t go forward at the direction while drifting? I think I know what you mean, and it’d be nearly impossible to create in Flowlab. But I’ll do my best.

3 Likes

Something about direction mapping… pretty sure someone made an example once.

3 Likes

I’ll look for it, thanks!

3 Likes