Feature request: a "notes" block?

Here’s a feature request that I would find useful. Can we get a no input/output block that I can type in so I can leave notes for myself inside my code? There are lots of things that I leave in place while I’m constructing a game that I have to remember to remove or change before release. Or sometimes I forget where a message is coming from and could leave myself a note so I don’t have to open and dig through all the behaviors to find the trigger. Or it would be handy to leave notes to explain what certain code does or help direct people to the part you’re working on when trouble shooting.

Maybe someone already has a work around they could recommend?

I remember when I suggested this a really long time ago

It was almost 2 years ago @grazer:
http://forum.flowlab.io/discussion/5287/note-behavior-and-balloon-tips

Time goes fast :frowning:

Yeah, I’ve had this on my list for a really long time. I mostly haven’t done it because I haven’t yet figured out a nice way to implement it. The way I see it, there are three possible ways to go:

1. Add comments to an individual block, and you could show/hide them. This would be be similar in style to the error messages that some blocks have.

2. Have a something like a post-it note that could just be added to the workspace near the blocks you would like to comment on.

3. Have some way to mark off and comment on an area or group of blocks. This is what I would probably prefer to do, but I haven’t figured out a good way to make it work. It would be nice to be able to mark off a set of blocks a “control logic” or “health calculations”, that sort of thing.

I’m open to suggestions if anyone has them.

I added a Trello card for this feature: https://trello.com/c/vs7K2gQH/69-behavior-comments

@grazer
How about having a notes checkbox in the editor menu, possibly in the game settings. Turning this on would highlight all the objects with notes in them.

You could make notes its own behavior that expands to edit/see it when clicked on.

With the notes turned on in the game settings; when going into an objects behavior, the first note behavior is centered of the screen And all are highlighted And on the top layer.
This way you wouldn’t loose where the note behaviors are in an unorganized behavior system.

There could also be a notes tab in the interface of the objects behavior instead of behaviors.

I currently use labels outside the game to use as important notes in the editor such as how my shop works.