Flash to be unsupported by 2020

Yesterday Adobe announced they will end support for the Flash player in 2020. This means they will no longer make updates or patches for playing Flash content in a web browser and the individual browsers are onboard with removing Flash completely by the end of 2020. This means you will have no way to view an SWF file in a modern browser going into 2021.

-This also includes games

What?! Does that go for flowlab too?

I think so

I don’t like flash so I don’t really care. Except that flowlab is made with flash so that would be a problem. I always see projects made with flash aren’t really smooth, and flowlab too.

Btw I’ve heard this in another forum too lol.

Well, flash came somewhere around '02 and really brought joy into the internet. So it’s certainly an innovation of its time

Hey - so Flash going away is a drag, but there is some good news. Flowlab isn’t built using Flash, it’s written in a language called Haxe ( https://haxe.org/ ). Haxe cross-compiles to C++ (which is how we build native mobile and desktop apps) and to Flash for the web. It also compiles to HTML5, so we’ll be able to make that switch long before 2020. I haven’t made the switch yet because it will be a bunch of work to swap the website over and get everything working properly in Javascript, and I’d rather use that time to make improvements & fixes for now. Also, the longer I wait, the easier the switch will be since Javascript APIs are constantly improving.

TL;DR: We’ll switch to HTML5 before 2020, so your games won’t go away :slight_smile:

1 Like

@grazer That’s nice, good to hear that :smiley: What programming languages do you actually know?

I’ve only learned c#, I’m self-taught. I’m also trying to learn javascript and I’ll probably learn php for computer science next year (I hoped to learn javascript at school :dissapointed: but I think php would be nice too).

Hey, I’ve been around long enough to have used lots of languages. The good news is that the more languages you know, the easier it is to learn new ones.

C# is great, and so is Javascript these days. Even php has its place, as terrible as it is :slight_smile: