Galactian's Light-Speed Reviews

Yes you can, I’m just harsh on people since I have a lot of experience with more complete games.
I can name a few games that would probably get an A or A+
Alpaca Raceway, Shattering Steel got like a 8.6 on my in-depth reviews

7 Likes

Sometimes harsh reviews help explain the good things of a game and the bad things, which helps the developer to make the game more polished

8 Likes

When you say sometimes…
Makes other quit

1 Like

No it doesn’t, it’s constructive criticism and if you can’t handle it just remember it’s literally just the same thing as pointing out a problem and telling you how to fix it, just more harsh.

9 Likes

Um ok I remeber a good story where a guy quitted his game making…
Never knew what happened? Definitely did not get a harsh review…
EMOTIONAL DAMAGE?

1 Like

When I mean by sometimes is when a random person starts critiquing you’re game really harshly for no apparently reason then you just ignore it, but when people seek out criticism on their games to help get other views from other players then it’s not a bad thing at all.
At first I took harsh criticism really hard and I thought my games were absolutely horrible, but when you first start out, that’s how it usually goes. It’s up to you whether you want to learn from this criticism or just give up.
If you don’t like being criticized by others, you could always have a high expectation.

For me, I always try comparing my game to other popular games that are similar and see how I can match or even make better than that. Although there aren’t a lot of 2D pixel art games to be referenced too, but the concepts can still be compared. I guess I have a high expectation of my own games. I try making stuff that’s simple enough for a player, but yet still complicated enough to give a sense of difficulty.

Although having a self expectation can be a good thing, I would highly recommend getting your own concern reviewed by others. When you play test the same game, over and over again, you start to memorize everything and you can’t play test a game just as a new player, that’s why there are some on the forums who are willing to give up their time to play test your game and give an honest, first player experience of the game.

8 Likes

You cannot make a good game without difficult trial and error. Hardship is the only way to go, and reviewers help you identify those errors.

P.S. yooooooooo another John

Also who’s your favorite character in Genshin Impact

5 Likes

Maybe Galactian is just a sigma male and doesn’t sugarcoat his words with euphemisms. In other words, delivering cold hard facts just as they are.

4 Likes

If anyone has open time and wants to review games with me here, I’ll allow it since this station is going to be open to all the incomplete games nearing the start of the flowjam so people can get an idea of how good they are doing.

We’ll be using a different format, however. This is so reviews can be done asap.

3 Likes

Hey! Right in time.
@Galactian I’m working on a shmup-but-not-shmup game and need play testers for the basic concept. The concept is an endless mode (the only mode as of now) and i was wondering if it was any good. Here is the link to the game.

2 Likes

Cool but the movement is vastly inferior to the original. I don’t know if it’s because I picked the dragon ship or not, but this game just doesn’t seem nearly as fun to play as the original Ace Vanguard. The bastion class ship was a lot more fun however and also helped me get a higher score. The shield has the best movement, but it really is weird how what seems like it should be the strongest ship actually has the lowest health out of the four. The new art style is really nice and very well made but I kind of do miss the old color-coded ships that reminded me of Power Rangers. Also, I now think that the agonizingly slow movement of the smaller ships and the whole game in general so far is because the background is set to repeat X and Y, which gives the horrible illusion of slowness despite actually being able to move fast.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that the game needs a faster pace.

2 Likes

I saw this but you edited the link in later on so i didn’t get to it
i’m also still deciding on the format

3 Likes

No problem!

2 Likes

@John_Shrekinson I think I fixed your problem with the shield ship. If you ever find a small powerup with a sword on it… collect it.

2 Likes

Joseph Joestar Nice GIF - Joseph Joestar Nice Good Job GIFs

2 Likes

Are you reviewing Flowjam games?

2 Likes