Galaxian Reviews - Submit Your Games and See my Reviews

Ok, thank you and take your time!

2 Likes

raise a noob

3 Likes

Revisiting Taile Gamougg: Emerald Warrior - By @117JOJO

Last time on Galaxian Reviews, this game received a 1.2 / 5, and since then has received more updates to further improve the game. Stick around to see by how much the game improved.

GENERAL

Review of Gameplay - So I was wrong. This wasn’t the same Gamougg as in the official games. This is an ancestor of his, who’s also named Gamougg. Seems the Gamougg family line has a history of adventuring, eh?
Anyways, Gamougg here is on a journey home when he stumbles upon some strange occurences, and has to investigate what in the world is going on.
This fan-game is pretty different from the official games in that, instead of wielding firearms, Gamougg wields a sword that he can use to hack-and-slash enemies.

Pros:

• Again, Gamougg and Ren Chungus look pretty epic. And so does this Senseinator Legweak character.
  • Majority of last time’s issues have been resolved
  • Story is interesting, though could have been better

Cons:

• Bosses are difficult to defeat normally, but this element of difficulty is negated when they get stuck in a block or something.
  • Feels like a combination of Taile Gamougg and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I guess it’s not a bad thing, but it massacres originality in the process, especially since the similarities are obvious.

SCORING

ART

The art has improved since last time. The majority of the blocks I can see in-game have their own looks, and for the most part, it’s pretty solid. I like it all, apart from the next level block and the notes outting Rin as a possible baddie.

I think at this point it is tradition for Taile Gamougg games to lack any character animations. Still not a fan of that.

Score: 3 / 5

SOUND

Again, more improvements in this department. The game has sounds for just about everything, and the music is spot-on. Well, except for the final boss. Instead, it plays a Flowlab soundtrack that sounds very out of place considering all the other soundtracks, and then you link the player to a MGRR soundtrack…

But aside from that, the game sounds very good, from the SFXs to the music!

Score: 4 / 5

STORY

The story is interesting, and also somewhat confusing.

Summary of the Story: SPOILERS AHEAD

LAST SPOILER WARINING: The game starts off with Gamougg returning home, only to run into Ren Chungus and fight him in a duel. After Chungus is defeated (and presumably killed), he declares that the electrolytes will be found by his allies. Gamougg then decides to pay Rin, Chungus’ wife, a visit to see if there is anything suspicious going on. He finds electrolytes stashed in the house, and when he goes outside, he runs into Senseinator Legweak. He starts yammering about how trashy the healthcare policy is in America and how he is willing to go extreme lengths to give it all to everyone, regardless of their backgrounds. Gamougg, recognizing Legweak’s immoral actions, kills him in a duel, and then casually goes back home as if nothing happened.

The story is clearly trying to present how electrolytes came to be in the world of Gamougg, and I guess a sort of origin story to the Gamougg family line. It is an interesting concept, and it makes for a good story.
However, here is my biggest issue(s): Senseinator Legweak’s appearance is random, especially the whole sub-plot about his extreme attempts to give healthcare to all. His method of doing it - killing innocent people - sounds pretty sadistic and counterproductive.
And the fact that Gamougg seemingly forgets about the whole situation of the electrolytes after the battle is also completely random. Shouldn’t Gamougg be off to make sure Chungus’ allies don’t do anything bad?

I think this is trying to be like how, in MGRR, Senator Armstrong intends to end warfare through anarchist means and turning people into murderous cyborgs at an early age. But while Armstrong’s methods make sense, despite being extremely immoral, Legweak’s methods don’t make sense, especially since we don’t get to see much of Legweak. He only appears for one level, and that isn’t really long enough for us to see what he is really like. Unlike, again, Armstrong, who’s battle can last up to an hour, and that hour is spent showing us his true colors.

This would have earned a four, but the lack of Senseinator Legweak’s character development, as well as Gamougg’s apparent amnesia, lowered the score a bit. Not by too much since it only made up about one level of the game, while the electrolyte plot made up the other four. Still, could have been better.

ENTERTAINMENT

The game was fun while it lasted, though the short game size lowers the entertainment value this game can give out. I can forgive that for the most part considering how you have a free account and can’t really add more objects/levels.

ORIGINALITY

Like before, due to the fact that this is a fan-game based on Gamougg, as well as clear and obvious parallels to MGRR, this originality sections is gonna get massacred.
I am giving you bonus points, however, for including different game mechanics from the official Gamougg games (at least the ones I have played thus far).

Score: 2 / 5

DIFFICULTY

The controls for this game are easy to understand and use. As for a tutorial, one is still not present.

C344B3C8-8685-43D2-A222-0313A655A091

Anyways, the normal levels are simple and easy. As for the bosses, they are surprisingly difficult. That is, until I noticed a bit of an exploit.
The bosses pretty much have just one method of attacking: they charge at you, and when they get close enough, they stop and start swinging their weapons. When the player attempts to harm them, they shield themselves.
Because the bosses stop moving when close to you, if you trick the boss into ramming into a wall or otherwise uneven surface, then stand on top of them and start swinging your sword like your butt’s on fire, the boss will be defeated really easily.

I found out this exploit by accident, but it helped me kill the bosses much quicker than I feel I should have. But, assuming one does not notice this bug, the bosses are actually challenging and make up for the easy levels from before.

I would say that the difficulty for the game is relatively good.

CONCLUSION

FINAL SCORE: 3.3 / 5

BadgeB

Good work on this game, 117JOJO.

This is a pretty good comeback! Last time, you received a 1.2, and now you have a 3.3! I think this game is really good. The game still has some flaws, especially with the endgame story. Other than that, the game has many highlights. I would recommend that you try to work on boss AI a bit more while still maintaining the challenge that they present, and also improve the endgame story.

Congratulations, and thank you for your submission!

3 Likes

Taile Gamougg: Ligma - By @John_Shrekinson

GENERAL

Review of Gameplay - Well, um… this game has a rather questionable title. It doesn’t even have anything to do with what the game is about. But anyways…
Taile Gamougg: Ligma is different from your average Taile Gamougg game. It is a top-down 3D game where the player makes grid-based movements to reach the end of the level. They also have access to a gun they can use to push asteroids and defeat enemies (which are incredibly scarce in this game).
So far… that’s all. Not much variety in this game.

Pros:

• Good concept
  • Simple Gameplay
  • Short and sweet, a good game to play if you want to have some fun for a few minutes

Cons:

• For some reason, S is to equip the gun and move down
  • “Short and sweet” may be a pro, but this experience went by a little too fast

SCORING

ART

I can really dig the artstyle for this game. I love it. Gamougg is looking a little… different this time. Eh, it’s a spin-off, it’s not that big of a deal. And finally, there are character animations! Gamougg walks every time he moves. Could do with more animations thought, but this is already a good sign.

The next level block and the win block feel out of place a bit. Maybe turn them into doors, trophies, or anything else that someone would view as a “goal” of sorts.

SOUND

Music-wise, this game doesn’t use royalty-free music like the other Gamougg games. However, the selection of music for the levels still feels appropriate. I like many of the Flowlab-provided soundtracks.

SFX-wise, I feel like there is too little. There are no sounds for when the player or enemies take damage, and SFXs only play when you move on to another level or shoot your gun.

STORY

This game does not have a story present.

Score: Exempted

Entertainment

If you’re looking for a game that is fast and easy, this is the game for you. But this felt a little too fast and a little too easy. I beat this game in around 6 minutes and got confused by how short this experience was.

It was fun while it lasted, but I wish this game had more stuff to bring in.

ORIGINALITY

For the most part, the concept of moving Gamougg through a level using grid-based movements sounds pretty nice, and it could have led to a fantastic spin-off. But as I mentioned in the Entertainment section, this game is too short and too easy, so this game felt more like a tiny experiment.

I think grid-based games are not a new concept either. I’ve played a few in the past and even attempted to create my own, with minimal success.

DIFFICULTY

I mentioned that this game is a little too easy. See, there are three hazards that you must watch out for in this game: shadows, bosses, and “Phantom Vera”.

The shadows look like enemies at first glance… except that they are not enemies at all. They don’t do anything except bounce around, and they are only spawned by the boss. Plus, they die a few seconds after spawning. They are pretty easy to dodge and can be destroyed by shooting them.
The bosses… are underwhelming. They just shoot shadows at you and that’s it. They are easy to kill.
The Phantom Vera are located on orange tiles, and they will hurt you if you step on them. I didn’t realize this until after I died to them. After I did this, I made an effort to avoid anything orange.

The bad part is that these hazards only appear in the last two levels of the game. The rest of the game is not challenging at all (though the second level relies on a glitch in order to progress). As I said before, this game is way too easy, and it massacres the potential this game could have had with its grid-based gameplay.

But hey… at least there is a sufficient amount of controls (except why does the S key do two different things at the same time?), and the tutorial is satisfactory. Those are the only highlights in terms of difficulty.

CONCLUSION

FINAL SCORE: 3 / 5

BadgeB

Good work on this game, John Shrekinson.

Wow, a score of exactly three! I don’t think that has happened yet…
Anyways, this game is promising and has potential. I am hoping that you revisit it sometime to improve on certain aspects, namely the length and difficulty of this game.

Oh yeah, I’d consider changing the name of the game, too. When coming up with a game’s title, think about its story and/or gameplay rather than a word that is associated with a dirty joke.

3 Likes
Thank you for your review! This time my post isn't very long.

It has the same amount of levels as Gamougg 1 because it’s sort of a retelling of the original game in another timeline. Should I continue the main game with more levels, add bonus levels, or add free DLC?

done

More I added

I increased the challenge now.

Not anymore :smiley:!

Thank you.

Funny

You’re welcome!

2 Likes
wow my message looks smaller now

biased :anger: :angry: :rage:

ok i will fix it like bob the builder

I think i can only fix this after the massive revelation in April.

this too same

its canon though in the timeline

Yeah and I think they will be in CubeTales 3 as well (im in gamouggaming)

Ok and thank you for the review!!

2 Likes

Maybe? It’s up to you, really. I think I would add more regular levels to the game rather than have them as free DLC content. Bonus levels could be used to reward players for exploration or skill.

Oh really? I think I missed that part. Sorry about that! 0 )-( 0

You’re welcome!! :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

I just did that recently

3 Likes

Is it ok if I post two games at once because one of them is an Anniversary version of the other with the bonus content removed? If so, I would like for you to review the original Gamougg game, with which I made my debut on Flowlab:

Here is the Anniversary version, released exactly one year after the original:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s fine. Although, if I notice that both games are exactly the same (no difference whatsoever in their art, sound, etc, basically not a remake/remix and is just a copy + paste), their reviews will be combined into one.

I also noticed that I forgot to review Raise a Noob, so I’ll do that one first.

Thanks for your submission, @John_Shrekinson!

2 Likes

I see.

Understandable, have a great day and reviewing.

You’re welcome!

3 Likes

Seems like you got lots of games to review, but when you got time, mind reviewing Bug Hunter? I’m looking for lots of reviews :grin:.

3 Likes

Raise a Noob - By @Vaprzz

GENERAL

Review of Gameplay - Yet another idle game. This time, you gather money simply by waiting, then you feed the noob.
That’s all. There isn’t much to do after that. Given the fact there is a leaderboard, I’m assuming the rest of the game is to farm as much money while keeping the noob healthy, but that requires a lot of waiting and repeatedly filling up the food bowl.

Pros:

• Noob looks cute!

Cons:

• Not much to do; an incredibly empty game

SCORING

ART

The art is extremely simple. There appears to have been effort placed into it… but other than that it doesn’t look all that impressive.

Score: 1 / 5

SOUND

There is no music in this game. As for the SFXs, they appear as a result of player actions, or when you gain money. But other than that, I am left wishing that this game had more SFXs.

STORY

This game does not have a story present.

ENTERTAINMENT

There is nothing to do here. All you do is farm money and give the Noob food so that he won’t starve.

Also, another thing I noticed: your money count won’t save between game sessions… meaning you’ll lose all your money if the Noob starves, if you leave the game, or if you enter the editor. So, if you decide to play through this whole game for several hours at a time, and your computer shuts off or the browser crashes, all your progress is chucked out the window. At least your leaderboard score saves…

ORIGINALITY

Games where you raise a pet are not a new concept. This game doesn’t really present anything new or unique, other than the fact that your “pet” here is a Noob. Though I cannot shake the feeling that this is supposed to be a ROBLOX Noob…

Difficulty

You can actually “lose” this game, so that is something. If your Noob starves, then the game will reset.

However, the repercussions for starving your Noob is severe: you’ll lose all your money, all your food, and all your upgrades.

Also, I tried picking up my Noob and moving him elsewhere. It did not work.

This game can be seen as incredibly easy to incredibly hard depending on how you look at it. On one hand, all you need to do is make sure you feed the Noob and you’re all good. But on the other hand, forgetting to do this will cost you all your progress.

SUGGESTIONS

This game unfortunately received quite a low score. So here are some recommendations I have for you.

First and foremost, you need to add more content to this game. It feels empty and barren. I have some suggestions for you:

• Add minigames so that you could play with your Noob
  • Add more activities other than feeding
  • Add more content to the shop
  • Improve the Noob’s living space with more decoration

So far that’s all. I’m not a huge fan of idle games or pet games, so sorry if I cannot provide more recommendations.

CONCLUSION

FINAL SCORE: 1.4 / 5

BadgeD

This game needs some work, Vaprzz.

I don’t have much to say about this game because… well, there isn’t much to it. It feels very empty and there isn’t a whole lot to do. This is understandable since you first posted the discussion for this game back in June 2nd, so maybe you’ve been working on the game for a few weeks before then?

Regardless, I would suggest adding more things to do in this incredibly empty game.

Better luck next time, and thank you for your submission!

2 Likes

yeah its more practice than a game but im just trying my best after recently upgrading to indie. 1.4 is good enough for me and ill take your ideas/suggestions into the game. thanks for the review i hope you liked the pre alpha or update 0.2

3 Likes

Hello MetaNinja, please feel free to delay the Gamougg Anniversary review if you want to fight the final boss. I am not entirely sure if I can finish it today.

2 Likes

Alright, in that case I’ll do the review for Bug Hunter first and then I’ll move on to Taile Gamougg when you’re ready again.

3 Likes

Agreed; understandable, have a great day and reviewing session(s).

2 Likes

Bug Hunter - by @moogie001

GENERAL

Review of Gameplay - Bug Hunter is a survival game where you control a space ship and must destroy as many bugs as possible in order to survive. Make it past the two minute mark, and you will encounter the boss.
You can also use the coins you received to purchase upgrades to make your next session a little easier.
You can also compete with other players through the leaderboard: the person with the highest survival time gets to the top of the leaderboard.

YeahBuddy

As of writing this review, that top player happens to be me.

Pros:

• Epic music!
  • Smooth and simple gameplay
  • Very challenging

Cons:

I can’t really come up with anything in particular that bothered me in this game…

SCORING

ART

The art is really well done. It’s simplistic, but the way it is used is great. I also like the particle effects in the title screen, though I wish that there were more particles in the rest of the game.

The use of default enemy designs for the bugs also disappointed me a bit, but I’ll let it slide since they fit the overall artstyle. Also, the explosion needs animation, as it just looks like an inanimate fireball that grows.

SOUND

I really like the music for this game. The use of music and the SFXs are amazing. There is always something playing in the background, and when an action/event occurs.

Although, I did notice there is a bug where, if you die while the boss is still alive, the boss music will continue to play in other parts of the game. I wonder why that happens…?

Score: 5 / 5

STORY

This game has no story present…

ENTERTAINMENT

I has SO MUCH FUN playing this game!! It is really entertaining, and there is a ton of replay value behind it. Every game will end up differently, like how many enemies you end up defeating before you are forced to start moving to avoid fatal damage. Also, a leaderboard encourages players to do their best to get to the top and survive the longest.

ORIGINALITY

There are several survival games out there similar to this, especially on Flowlab. However, bugs in space is not something I’ve seen before, and I believe this game does a good job of demonstrating its uniqueness.

DIFFICULTY

This is by no means an easy game. It is very difficult to survive past the two-minute mark (I’ve found myself running away from hordes of bugs trying to eat my soul on multiple occasions). However, it is like this by design, and not due to horrible controls or glitches. This game is supposed to present a big challenge and it succeeds in doing so.

You are one of the lucky few to have earned a perfect score in DIFFICULTY.

CONCLUSION

FINAL SCORE: 4.6 / 5

BadgeA

Impressive work on this game, Moogie001!

This is a really fun and creative game! This thing is going places. Right now the only suggestion I can think of that would improve the game’s score would be to give the explosion an animation.

Another suggestion that I have would be to create more enemies (like ones that shoot stink clouds, or explode when defeated, etc.). This is more of a minor suggestion, but I think it would make the game a little more interesting.

4 Likes

Wow, I got a good score! Thanks for reviewing Bug Hunter. I’m pretty bad at art, which is why I don’t add too much animations and enemies :sweat_smile:.

4 Likes

One more thing, did you beat the Boss Bug? I haven’t beaten it yet, but seeing that you’re at the top of the leaderboard, did you manage to beat it? I want to know if I should nerf or buff it.

3 Likes