Genuine 3D Graphics Rendering

Real, true 3D:

I have had this kind of just sitting around for a while now, so I might as well share it as-is…
(Although this is real 3D, it’s still extremely unoptimized and will need a lot of work before it can be applied in a proper, playable “game”)

You can use the Left & Right Arrows to switch the model you’re viewing (there are 13 models so far). Each model is stored as a triangulated .OBJ file that this game reads and then “renders”.

I can try to answer any questions you might have, but keep in mind that this is still very much just a prototype / demo of what’s possible.

18 Likes

So it actually reads the OBJ file?

2 Likes

Yep.
The file cannot have anything other than triangles, though (no quads, n-gons, etc.). Also some .obj’s store large or tiny numbers using scientific notation (e.g. 2.13e-45) which this also cannot read yet.
But in general, yes.

3 Likes

That’s actually super awesome.

2 Likes

Sick! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

This has me imagining a Silent Hill 1 replication in Flowlab.

3 Likes

Woah. Wait…

WOAH WHAT THE HECK.

This is insane this is insane this is insane.

1 Like

Holy cow
This is absolutely crazy

2 Likes

HOW did you do this?!

Oh my gosh this is CRAZY.

1 Like

Can I upload a cad file into this if I download it as an obj.? Asking for a friend lol

2 Likes

Probably should be fine? Just make sure it’s triangulated.
Also, try and keep the amount of triangles below 200 (which is not very many, but if you have more than that, the performance will be terrible)

1 Like

You got it boss :+1:. I’m going to try this today so let’s see what I can make

2 Likes

Cool, I’m interested to see how it turns out

Could you rotate the model?

1 Like

This is awesome!!! How do you even do that???
blow-mind-mind-blown

I can’t even comprehend this.

1 Like

If you look in the game’s description, the keys are all listed to rotate the model, as well as to switch models.

1 Like

It took quite a bit of trial and error, especially with finding a good way to display the triangles.
It’s still far from perfect, not only performance-wise but also feature-wise—I still need to add actual camera controls and triangle clipping and a better z-sorting mechanism…

Reading the .obj was not super complicated (just look up how a .obj file is structured).
The transforming and rotating of the model is just a bunch of linear algebra (look up linear algebra of 3d transformation matrices).
The toughest part was figuring out how to actually render the triangles, which I finally was able to do during some testing that FlyingFajita was having me do for them:

7 Likes