Genuine 3D Graphics Rendering

For this game you just open the .obj file in a text program like Notepad, copy all the text, then go into this game’s “3D Renderer” object and paste the code into the Text behavior there. Then when you run the game it should render your .obj.
If you’re asking how I actually parsed the .obj file itself, that wasn’t too hard: just split the .obj text on the value “\n” (newline), then check what the first 2 characters in each line are. If they’re "v ", the line contains an X, Y, and Z for a Vertex. If they’re "f ", the line contains indexes of vertexes that form a Face. And if they’re "l ", then the line contains vertex indexes that form a Line (or Polyline; also my game here just ignores line data).
Does that answer your question?

1 Like

Also since this topic is now revived, I might as well share this:
https://flowlab.io/game/play/2682570?debug=true
It’s v2 of my 3D system, and it’s much better than v1 in nearly every way.
However, it still has a lot of problems, so please don’t try and build games around it just yet :sweat_smile:
[I’m not going to update this version any more; instead I’m working on a v3…]

2 Likes

(I also might as well say this now that the topic is revived)
HOLY ■■■■ THIS IS THE CRAZIEST THING I EVER SEEN MADE

1 Like

This is insane!

1 Like

[Here’s a short video of how it looks]

3 Likes

Revolutionary flowlab tech. I should start calculating time before Mario 64 is in flowlab.

1 Like

I’m curious what would happen if you made a third person 3d game

2 Likes

It’s a bit tougher to make 3rd person controls that don’t feel terrible, but I’ll probably try it eventually

1 Like

why does it feel horrible? I think you can just make a sprite in the display and adjust the players(the object that raycasts) hitboxes to be more infront, but I’m not an expert in 3d so idk .^.

I guess the tricky part is just making the camera always be properly positioned so the player can see. It’s easy to make the player move the right directions, but making sure the camera always follows them properly and doesn’t e.g. just point straight at their back is hard…
I’m only saying this because I’ve played far too many 3rd-person games where you get into a fight or have to do a platforming puzzle . . . and you literally just can’t see what’s going on

1 Like

oh makes sense

A question, how to find the obj text, and create a “New line”?

I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand what you mean

1 Like

Ah, that was an explanation of what the code does automatically. If you paste an obj file into the game, you shouldn’t have to worry about any of that

1 Like

Ohh…
Last question. (Or probably not), do you need the “Insert” the OBJ number data into a number list? (Or whatever the thing is called).

Nope, you can just copy a full obj file as text and paste that into the game as-is.

1 Like

alright well im kinda interested in OBJ files so ima try learning it. (Probably gonna take another 2 years)…
Like make a obj thing insert in into a text list, make it functional, and make some size thing.
(Not trying to steal all your stuff).

1 Like

Sounds great, and don’t worry at all about taking my stuff; it’s all free to use anyway

1 Like

Oh… I just realized i need skewing, I need to learn that first.