@grazer game art again!

Ok so i’ve talked about the game art just totally crashing before if you remember that about 1 month ago but there’s also little things like this

which is how it should look vs what it looks like in game!
Now I understand it because they sprite object is getting super small but just the smallest details make the difference but for some reason they are taken away…
@grazer

1 Like

Also ive been gone for a month and came back to this!

good stuff @grazer keep it up!

4 Likes

Can you post a link? It looks like maybe the sprite is being scaled?

1 Like

scaled as in being made bigger with behaviors cuz if thats why its doing that that is weird cuz ive had this happen in the past without even using a scale its once there’s like a lot of objects in the game… is my usumption!

Distortion of sprites happens most often when scaling it because it’s hard for the engines in general to render properly.

1 Like

I know but its done this in the past even without scaling

If you’re saying that sprites are getting distorted without any scaling, you would have to show me an example of what you mean.

In general, you cannot arbitrarily scale pixel art without distortion, and this doesn’t have anything to do with Flowlab in particular - this is just a property of pixels and bitmap images. If you do not scale at a multiple of 100%, then you will get distortion. Think about it like this - If you have some pixels like so:

:black_large_square::white_large_square::black_large_square:
:white_large_square::black_large_square::white_large_square:
:black_large_square::white_large_square::black_large_square:

if you scale them to 200%, you get this:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:

Everything is nicely doubled - still the same relative size, with no distortion. If instead, you try to scale it up by 150%, you have something like this:

:black_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::black_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:black_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

There is no way to arrange the pixels so that the image is not distorted. This is what’s happening in your sprite. Your options are:

1. Scale the image by 100%, 200%, 300%
  2. Redraw the pixel art at the size you want to display
  3. Use an anti-aliased / smooth image that may mask the distortion better
3 Likes

ok that makes a lot of sense thanks @grazer

2 Likes