I need some advice

oh right, I kinda just pulled the first image that google spat out at me so I think it’s supposed to be a gif but I copied it as a png. That or there’s a single pixel that’s different.

2 Likes

Hahaha, ok. Just making sure I wasn’t losing my mind, lol. It shouldn’t be too difficult to make a simple animation like that, right?

¯\ _ (ツ) _/¯
well it depends on what you’re animating, a jump can be 1 frame so it’s just the same sprite but in a different pose, a run is a bit complicated, taking a look at the Megaman animation, there’s the first frame which is of his right foot down, then the transition frame, then the left foot down. You could remove the transition frame but it’ll look a lot more choppy.
Just sketch out each keyframe, no need for coloring or detail yet, just make sure you have the main aspects of the animation down.

3 Likes

I agree with glowbug here, just keep it simple. your sprite is very very simple so if you go too ambitious with the animations then it’s just going to look confusing. really simple animations are often thought of as worse, but it depends on the context, and for such a low res sprite, just do a couple frames for each action

3 Likes

Oh no! When I attempt to export it and upload it to flowlab it gets all messed up!

@glowbug @Baron_Wasteland How do I fix this?

3 Likes

That looks like it was scaled to a weird size. Pixel art must be scaled strictly by halving or doubling the size.

See the explanation here: @grazer game art again! - #7 by grazer

Try resizing it in whatever editor you are using to 32x32 px - then it will match up exactly to a 1x1 block in Flowlab.

6 Likes

Oh, you are completely right. Somehow I was working in 20x20 that whole time :man_facepalming: Thank you for pointing that out!

5 Likes

No problem, and great work on this sprite! The original and latest version are like night and day :slight_smile:

[EDIT]

Also, a 20x20 sprite should import just fine, and fit inside one block - just don’t try to scale it up when importing and it should look OK

6 Likes

Oh, thank you! I frequently look back at the original and I have absolutely no idea how I got to this point, but I’m definitely glad that it’s not like that anymore, lol.

Thank you, but when I try to do that it looks way too small, so I think I may just try to scale it up by hand.

Edit: scaling it up by hand is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I have no idea what I’m doing

5 Likes

Try remaking it in 32x32 if you dislike 16x16.

4 Likes

Ok, so I managed to manually make it into a 32x32 image. How does it look?

In my opinion, it almost looks better this way, higher res, more curvy bits, less jagged. I even managed to add in a little bit of dithering (a term that I only learned a few days ago) in the helmet

4 Likes

The helmet shading looks a bit weird, i’d say to remove those little bits sticking out or cover them up

3 Likes

I second that, when it comes to having smaller artwork I say less is usually more for easier visual comprehension.
Looking good though, I like the evolution this has gone through!

3 Likes

Ok @hihilogic @lonesable, I removed my beloved dithering, lol. Is this better?

4 Likes

That looks awesome! Nice work :smiley:

2 Likes

Yay, thank you! Now I can animate it, lol.

2 Likes

Ok, but just a tip:
When animating with this style, you always want to turn the player sideways so it looks more natural.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, thanks for the tip. I just had a vivid image in my head of not turning the player and just having them crab-walk across the entire level, and it was hilarious

3 Likes

that’s… not dithering.
Dithering is when you use a pattern that creates an optical illusion of a gradient of colors.

Just a heads up, keep the size of each pixel the same, here you have a bunch of different sizes.
Also, what art program are you using? Most should have adoption to export at 200% to at least 400%.

6 Likes

I’ll be honest, I think the smaller sprite looked better. sometimes less is more, you know? it’s a lot easier to get jaggies (patterns of pixels that look awkward) when you size things up. You don’t have to listen to me, but it’s what I noticed looking at this newer sprite

5 Likes