Help Making Realistic Explosions

So lately ive been making a realistic topdown physics game, And i need help making an explosion that isnt just a sprite with an animation, like i wanna physically resemble and actual explosion. Ive thought of a way to execute it but i haven’t had time to implement to see it, It would when and object detects the explosion using a proxy it would impulse away and the explosion effect would be run by having a really fast smoke animation mixed with rotating really fast to reassemble smoke particles. But thats just and idea…

3 Likes

I made a cool explosion system for the frag grenades in Halo: Flowlab Evolved. It has multiple objects though.

I was going to make this, but it would require listing multiple explosion positions as globals and deciphering for each object if they are close enough to use radians and sine/cosine to convert it into an angular velocity movement.

Also, if you really want me to, I can make it without lists for you, but it will only be able to render one explosion at a time.

1 Like

Really surprisingly, I miscalculated it. This system works with multiple explosions and is extremely simple!

1 Like

sigh – The one time I have a code example for something I don’t get to the topic in time. Here it is anyways:

If you’re still actively wondering how to create realistic explosions let me know.

1 Like

This works but not for games with characters walking on the environment. The one I made previously is pretty much the same thing but it replaces the solid ground with the moveable ground to create the explosion.

1 Like

You could make this work with players and movable objects by using resistant physics, basically making the movement ease the current velocity to the implied one using a custom easing system to make it slower when you are going backwards.

3 Likes

I just added an explosion to the particle effects example, so that’s one way to animate it without drawing an animation:

6 Likes

Ah sorry i havnt responded, was very busy

2 Likes

Well… Mines a lot different because instead of just shooting stuff upwards, it shoots it away from the explosion. I know what game they are talking about since they are an irl friend of mine, so I know it’s a top pov game.

1 Like