Hide - Flowjam 2023

I went in depth with Hide. Each level has completely different goals and objectives. The game isn’t long, but it doesn’t need to be because of the slower pace of stealth games. I have improved in my art, which shows in the eerie environments the player traverses through (and the characters themselves).

Listen, I know a lot of my games have mushrooms with weird effects in them. I promise I don’t do mushrooms. My weirdness is natural… I think.

Anyway, there are many ways to die in Hide. There are also many ways to not die but still lose. Be careful. If you do not know how to beat an enemy, consult the scrolls and for goodness sake experiment with the mechanics. They will help you.

Once you reach the boss battle, you can utilize all the skills and abilities to win the day (or night, maybe). But until then stick to the shadows, friend. They are the safest place for those who wish to be unseen.

15 Likes

I don’r know how to kill the boss! I played properly without cheating, but still didn’t work? How do I do that?

4 Likes

In order to kill the boss, you have to shoot him with your cannon form 4 times. Make sure the boss is in the resting phase before you morph or you will be hit with missiles. You have to charge the cannon before it will fire. Hold the space button to do this. Once the cannon is charged, it should fire and hit the boss.

4 Likes

Thanks! (this is for the 20 character minimum)

3 Likes

Haven’t played it yet, but man I love the look of the art!

2 Likes

I’m glad you like it! It took me a looong time to make so I’m glad I went in the right direction with it.

2 Likes

I can’t figure out how to play this game :’(
Are you supposed to let the guard see you then disguise? I always get caught when I move

1 Like

You have to get as close as you can without him hearing you (The icon above his head is the indicator). Then turn into a mushroom and let him pass you. Once he does, run for the hills!

(I’m gonna work on the scroll before that enemy so it is clearer what to do.)

1 Like

Okay, so I just fixed the bug that was probably bothering you. Basically, the boss died the second the level began, making it impossible to play. That is my bad :grimacing:

3 Likes

you can type < and > with no spaces instead

1 Like

I revamped the boss fight and made some good changes (and additions, mwahahaha)

2 Likes

The art style is great, I really like it.

2 Likes

Thanks! I am really happy with it

2 Likes

Umm small bug. I kept clicking down and I didn’t transform, it only let me transform after I died.

1 Like
Notes
  1. Sometimes transformation doesn’t work when first unlocking it? For the cannon, I’m assuming this was purposeful.

2. The Tin Man boss fight is very easy, once the battled is entered you just hold down space and you win before it even gets to attack once (Besides 1 laser)

1. Sound design also seemed to be lacking a little, but it’s understandable to not find sounds that fit a game.
    The art was nice, but the game seemed like there wasn’t a lot happening. Not trying to be rude at all when I say this. There was some short hiding parts and an easy boss battle, but due to the constant directions, it felt like I was playing the tutorial as I was waiting to begin the game in the castle. I think you wanted to get a lot more done with this game, but it seems you didn’t have enough time(?).
    For making it not feel like a tutorial, in writing there’s something called “Show don’t tell”, but it seemed like you were constantly telling the player what to do and not showing it.
5 Likes

I appreciate the feedback. All of this is is stuff I know and have considered. What happened is I didn’t have the whole 2 weeks because of personal stuff, but I did the best I could. As for the scrolls, I was kinda trying to replicate Stanley’s Parable with it, since I like the game. I know I did a poor job, but I think some people could appreciate it nonetheless.

6 Likes

I really loved the look of the art in this game! It was really well done!

4 Likes

Thanks! I really appreciate that.

3 Likes

Just fixed this today. I’ve been twiddling my thumbs waiting for the jam to end so I could fix it, lol. If anyone plays this again, let me know if the bug comes back.

3 Likes

Lol, same for me and DinoDev, just been waiting for the jam to end so we can implement the feedback we got

3 Likes