Home screen updates

Hello, everyone!

I have an idea for a new feature… but it isn’t in the editor. I have noticed that whenever my friends want to play games on Flowlab, instead of playing less-known games, such as mine, they gravitate towards the games that are up at the top of the games page, or the most recent FlowJam winners. When I asked them about this, 11/12 of them said that the reason they do this is because the games are more convenient to play, because they are right up there at the top. If possible, I think it would be cool to have a “weekly featured games” section on the games page, where games from all over Flowlab can be featured, so people can experience a wider range of Flowlab games, from less-known developers such as myself.

If possible, I think this feature could help smaller teams, with less-known games. If anyone thinks that this would be something that they want, or can do, I would love to hear about it!

Thanks!

• Yes
  • No
0 voters
2 Likes

There’s a lot of great games out there that haven’t been featured yet. The only problem with this idea is that if your talking about randomly chosen weekly games people could play, there’s a lot that could go wrong with it especially since there’s more than 10,000 games and I’ve seen that most of them are unfinished crappy games or just crappy games.

3 Likes

I understand that. I was thinking that some people on the community could nominate some games for the featured section.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Oh… I had no idea that existed! The only problem I see is that these games are only on the community (as far as I know.). I was wondering if these featured games could be put on the home screen.

1 Like

Well actually those are suggestions

1 Like

Suggestions? For what?

2 Likes

Suggestions for featured games? They are not actually featured, people are just suggesting if those games COULD get featured.

Oh, I see. I wonder if we would be able to use those featured games on the games screen on the homepage. That would solve that problem, at least temporarily. We would have to revive the Nominations topic in order to get more, but it would be a great way for some of those games to get featured for more to see. I know for a fact that a lot of my friends never check the forums, so having those games on the homepage would let a lot more people get more plays.

1 Like

Remember, they aren’t featured just suggested. Grazer made the topic so he wouldn’t have to spend time looking through the game page.

Also don’t forget that Flowlab has a discord too, some users share there games on the discord. Normally to get to the discord you would have to get in the forums but now you could get in the discord before getting in the forums. I’ve noticed a lot of new users have joined the discord lately and some users who aren’t active here are more active there

I honestly think this would be very fun to have. There are SO many amazing games that haven’t gotten a chance to be featured.

Ok, that makes sense. I did a survey of people I know who just play games on Flowlab. all of them said they never check the community forums, so I thought that the games could be featured on the home screen where anyone, even those who don’t check the forums, could play the featured games.

1 Like

If the games were hand picked, I think it’d be a good thing. It’s hard to get a game featured, so something like this for demos, good WIP’s, and good games that aren’t featured would be nice. However, I do think that this might run out quickly, I’m not actually sure how many high quality games there are on Flowlab, so it’d be difficult to maintain this.

1 Like

That is true, but I was hoping that having a good game featured would be good motivation to put love and time into a game. I do know that there are a lot of hidden gems on Flowlab, and I think that with this new feature, there are bound to be many more.

1 Like