Hooks - Flowjam 2023

Hey everyone, here is my Flowjam game if you would like to check it out! I wish I could have done more on it; I feel like there was a lot of potential I missed out on here, but in any case I hope you all enjoy it regardless.

As always, feel free to let me know of glitches (which I know there are a few of this time around) and suggestions

11 Likes

Hi,
can we talk about the beautiful water reflection? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve gotten a few minutes into it before I had to stop to do something else.
So far it looks great! One of the things that could be improved, and I’ve noticed this with a lot of these games, is how laggy it is. I think it’s mostly because of how many objects are in one level, so spawning and deleting objects when you’re not in a level could make it a lot smoother. I’m not very sure if that would work though because I’ve never made huge levels like this.

I’ll let you know more when I finish the game :smiley:

4 Likes

My goodness, I din’t realize how big this was going to be . . . and those reflections are amazing!
The overall mechanics are well designed, though I am having a bit of trouble using the grappling properly to get up to certain ledges. I might have to just keep trying, but anyways, incredible work!

5 Likes

Recryptech mentioned in the stream that the hook has momentum, the farther away you are from the target, the faster you will be pulled

3 Likes

Yep, sorry to anyone suffering stupid bugs or unbearable lag. This simply does not live up to my standards when it comes to polish. Please look forward to massive changes once the jam is done. I still intend to leave Shattering Steel as my main project, but a burner metroidvania does sound pretty neat… In any case, thank you to everyone for the feedback and thank you to anyone who has enjoyed it even in its current state, your support means the world to me (:

6 Likes

I was having lag, but then i found out my hardware acceleration was turned off in my browser. After turning it on, now the game runs really smooth.

PS. Make sure you killed the ghost.

3 Likes

I got a little carried away with the old-modern (Shakespearan/Biblical) English spoken in the intro, so I was curious about something…

How well did you understand what the reaper was saying?
  • Not at all
  • Barely
  • Somewhat
  • Mostly
  • Completely

0 voters

Thanks to everyone who played and rated! I was able to get honorable mentions and for that I am thankful! I didn’t do as well as I’d hope, but that’s alright cause I think I understand why and where to go. I’m actually really excited to prove that this idea still has a ton of potential. I have a completely new direction for my vision. Be excited because it will be good, I promise that!

7 Likes

The text was a bit small for my eyes i could barely read it. I didn’t really care abou the story anyways lol

3 Likes

You can full screen the game but I have heard this complaint before, so it’ll be fixed. As for the story… Sorry ig?

4 Likes

I didn’t mean it that way…i’m just not a story-attention-payer. I like to go straight into the action.
I was on fullscreen still a bit small. :slight_smile:
For me that’s something i’m missing in many games, skippable intro scenes or turotials. I like to figure
out things by myself.

5 Likes

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey everyone, just to let you know the game is undergoing some pretty major changes. The game is more or less in a playable demo state, so feel free to give it a try again. You can’t die yet, but you can take damage.

Also… If you had problems with lag… Good news! Everything is split up now and slightly more optimized. Your computer can rest easy knowing the game is much easier to handle. I’m not sure how Chromebooks will handle it (Sorry Alpaca), but in any case it should run much smoother.

If you didn’t like the game before, I urge you to play it again and see if this demo peaks your interest.
If you did like it before, then you’ll love this even more. I have honed in on the parts that were fun while cutting out parts that were confusing or weird. And, of course, I have made the art even better.

Do not let the length of this demo deceive you, more is to come. The story will make its way back in, better and clearer.

7 Likes

Im excited to re visit it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just finished playing the demo, the hook feels very smooth and intuitive to use now.
Can’t wait to play a somewhat full game lol

1 Like

Hey everyone! I’m looking for some feedback on the ghost encounter at the end of the demo. Would some of you be willing to fight it and let me know what you think? Thank you!

4 Likes

hey, is this a dead topic?

It’s been 5 months… However idk, could not be, no one ever replied. I didn’t even know this topic existed, was never suggested to me

1 Like

Same. I never knew the game had a topic. I knew of the game already.

1 Like