How do I make Mario sprite transitions?

Like when Mario gets bigger on a mushroom pickup, or becomes invincible on a star pickup, etc.?

1 Like

Animations, and then use toggles, someone made a Mario game it’s actually good

EDIT: Also, welcome to the community!
EDIT2: Oh wait you joined Feb 20th its ok, still welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

You mean like this? I tried keep between levels but then there were like 8 copies of the same sprite between levels. So I wonder how to keep the sprite change consistent?

1 Like

Maybe give me the link, so I can look into this

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 12.03.18 PM

Ah, I think I found it.

2 Likes

?

I haven’t incorporated sprite switching in this yet, was just looking to try & learn it before implementing it on this game.

Like, if I have my guy pick up a gun, I want to have him be able to use it (or any other weapon), so switching to another sprite with code implemented to use the weapon (and sprite animation to match) would be needed.

1 Like

Oh, then attaching!

Something like that. Like the character is 32x32 but maybe a powerup could make him 64x64. He picks up an M16, then he has a gun. Stuff like that.

But then trying to get all that to carry over into other levels. That’s just as tricky.

1 Like

Saving, I guess, or making each level in the same game lvl.

Well, the global behavior saves number but I wonder if it would work for sprites too.

2 Likes

Well idk what to do then never actually added power ups in my games so…
I’m sorry I couldn’t help you. :frowning:
Also I found your bad guys partying

1 Like

Globals can save sprites. When you have a power-up have the value of it be 1 (Depending on which power-up). When you go to the next level put that value into a filter.

Well you can make an animation of Mario getting smaller, and in the behavior thing, put collisions with whatever, then put, “Animation(whatever you named it)” and put whatever else you want to happen.

They tend to party quite a bit, lol

2 Likes

I wonder if that’ll work in reverse…

2 Likes

Very 1st game. Using this game as an experiment so when I make the next one, I can monetize it. Kind of one of those “1st one is free but the sequel is $5” kind of thing. I learned so much about how to code this game thru video tutorials on youtube. It’s got 1 bug in it that’s still being experimented with (shown in the last screenshot) but that’s just a funny bug that I may or may not fix (I think it’s kinda entertaining tbh). Started this on Feb 22, Not too bad for 2 weeks worth of work as a newbie.

1 Like

It’s pretty decent for your first game, needs a bit of cleaning up though. Also, don’t use a smaller sprite to make the character smaller, the hitbox of the character does not change. Use the Size behavior.

1 Like

That seems logical! The coding is kind of all over the place, I’m sure there’s a much simpler way of coding all of it, I just haven’t discovered it.

2 Likes

I’ve been using flowlab for about 4 months and I learned the most in the first 2 months. The rest is just making the code cleaner and being able to problem-solve things faster.

2 Likes