How to make this type of Camera

Hello, I know its been a long time since I’ve last posted, I’ve just been busy with other things but is proud to announce I’m mainly getting back to game Dev again.

I wanted some help developing a Camera like in the impossible game or some type of dungeon game where it doesn’t really move but when the character leaves it at a certian bit it moves on to the next section still locked in the center.

I don’t know what this type of Camera type is called and coudknt find any example, so perhaps someone could help me with this?

@JR01

4 Likes

I googled “The Impossible Game” and got about a thousand different results. I have no idea what that is.

It sounds like you’re talking about a Zelda style camera? Example of what I mean:

If so, then @JR01 has an example, of course (requires a game controller)

Also I used it in my game Reactor 7

If that’s not what your looking for, maybe post a link to an example game.

2 Likes

You’re thinking of an Area Camera. Take a look at me, Dinodev, and MelloJello’s game Magnus for an example.

2 Likes

Cool demo, those are tough bats!

4 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t help with much, but I did do a lot of the art and coding for the character and axe.

2 Likes

Alright, since my dungeon camera is being tested/compared, I made the example playable with mouse and keyboard. But I also made it disabled Mouse & Keyboard if a controller is detected.

But yeah, try it out. I helped Grazer with his Flowjam game with this camera setup.

4 Likes

Yeah @JR01, Like that

2 Likes

@MelloJello did basically everything, I just got the idea and team together, and worked on a lot of the base story/pitched ideas. @hihilogic did just as he said he did, character art, and axe art/mechanics.

Honestly that project was made so long ago- it’s quite spectacular Hihilogic actually went as far as to post the link!

2 Likes

You came up with the idea, I just added broken behaviors to try to make a game. Was pretty fun though :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Alright @JR01 I tried using your camera from your example but It’s not exactly working idealy.

Note; and I should have said this before: the camera is for all directions not just left and right, like if the game was seperated into a large grid the size of the background and everythime the player went on a diffeent sector, well, it does what yours does.

3 Likes

My camera does work up and down, the same system is used in Grazer’s Flowjam game.

3 Likes