I know I'm going for a lot, but I'm still going to try

I have been making a game called Red Desert, the original idea was an infinite wave survival game, but now I’m going to do more of a fighting game, I may have been to ambitious so I’ll take any tips and advice, especially for animating. Also does anyone have a good way to crouch?

3 Likes

I wasn’t able to move the character but I would recommend making the game frame much larger or zooming the camera out. In these kinds of games, you want the players to ideally see 80-100% of the entire fighting arena.

3 Likes

Yeah. You can make a crouching feature by having the player and player display separate objects, with the player object being a plain rectangle that decreases the Size behavior’s Y value by 50 while holding down the crouch button and return the Size to 100 when the player lets go of the button. The button sends a Message to the player display object (which is attached to the player hitbox at game start) that triggers the crouch animation.

This is how I did it in my Flowjam game earlier this year. As for animating, I would say the minimum animations you need for each character are a punch, kick, and block. There was a fighting game engine/example made by MrMcMemerMan, but I don’t know if it’s still available or not. I made two separate games with it though, so if you want some inspo you can check those out.

Summary

Flowlab Game Creator - Flowlab Kombat
Flowlab Game Creator - Sussus Amogus Fighting Game

2 Likes