Lost some sprites do to a bug @grazer can you give them back

Here is the game we’ve had problems on https://flowlab.io/game/play/1490773

@ScrapStudios - please make a new discussion topic to discuss your game so we don’t confuse separate issues. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

@grazer I think @GrimProductionZ and @ScrapStudios are working together on that game as a team. i think he said it earlier in the discussion :slight_smile:

Oops, my mistake - sorry @ScrapStudios, I guess I hadn’t had my first cup of coffee before I responded

I wouild suggest doing work on pixilart.com if its a big or long piece. If it may take long do it on there. The amount of work I have lost to flowlab is phanomenal.

Use flowlab to do stuff like simple UI or easy tiles, but sprites and Backdrops or even items should be on pixilart.com, it’s just so much easier.

I guess so. Maybe we SHOULD do that.

@The_Kodex Ok for one I am working on a school iPad and pixilart.com Is blocked don’t know why it is kind of dumb

Also @grazer multiple sprites were erected but I only care about the one named “Player” It is now a red block and all the animations turned it all to a green screen color. And yes I have not touched it at all hoping maybe it would return sometime but I guess not. And I finished the sprite while @ScrapStudios was not on at the time. then I got on an hour later an it was all messed up. pretty sure it happened at around 9:30 to 10:30 when I was making it and when I noticed it was corrupted it was around 12:10. matter of fact it was like 1 and a half hours i was away. @grazer I hope this information helps you.

Did you change the sprite size at all after making the animations?

I’m not even going to answer that

Ok . . . well if you did, that might be what caused it . . . if not, I don’t know . . .

@GrimProductionZ - I looked on the server , and it does not appear that there is an old version of this sprite that can be restored. I also checked the sprite sheet itself to see if it is possible that something had just become misaligned, and that’s not the case either.

I am sorry that you lost work here, that’s something that I strive to avoid. Also, this thread overall is making me think that losing work is more common that I had realized, and that I may need to add some additional safety mechanisms to prevent or resolve these cases.

1 Like

Far as I know, losing progress happens only when the user has disconnected (their session) from the internet. This hasn’t happened to me for a long while, but it was somewhat recurring when I first started long projects on Flowlab in 2019. Since then, I’ve had a routine I would do to ensure my stuff is saved, as well as when I get disconnected from the the internet.

A few suggestions I have:

• An alert pops up when you are offline, saying to keep the tab open until internet is re-established the save the progress.
  • A downloadable cache that will overwrite the cache in the browser when reconnecting.
  • Having a “Save” button just to insure the game is saved. Flowlab has auto-saves, but something like a clickable button (maybe with the last suggestions) would help ourselfs to be ensure that our progress is saved.

My Routines:
No matter what game I do, I simply make sure to hit the play button before exiting the tab. This seems to save the most recent progress for most of the time using Flowlab.

When Disconnected:
I do this only when I KNOW my computer has went offline. I hope this helps many of you with these issues.

• Make sure you have internet again.
  • Press Play and test the game
  • Go back in the editor and open a NEW tab to the same game
  • If the game in the new tab has all the new code, your game is saved.

If it still isn’t saved:

• Close the new tab and make some changes in the code (maybe add like 1 behavior block for testing), and also make changes in the game description and click “save”.
  • Open a tab again with the same game and see if the changes are saved.
  • If the game is still isn’t saved, repeat all thats below "If it still isn’t saved:"
  • Again, make sure your internet IS connected.
2 Likes

I have had this happen before with shotty internet, keeping backup tabs open to make sure stuff saves, or copy/paste it to the other tab if it didn’t save. Having a cache, save button, and a “connection lost” popup, even just a green circle that goes red when packet loss occurs, would be great. I’ve also had major updates and changes completely lost, because I didn’t notice a storm knocked out the Wi-Fi. I wish I had a widget on my desktop that pinged me when I lost packets. Flowlab could really use that, so you stop working.

1 Like