Making A Platformer

I am making a new game, “A Platformer”, and although I have been working on it for a couple weeks now, for debugging purposes, I am now posting it on the forum, in case anyone has any opinions. Flowlab Game Creator - A platformer Enjoy.

4 Likes

Despite the non-existent updates on this here forum, I would like to update everyone on the current status of “A Platformer”

As of now, I have 24 playable levels, 2 of them boss levels, and the remaining 22 being regular ol’ hell inducing levels. I am currently working on the third boss level.

During the process of working on this game, I have experimented with a few different mechanics, while most are simple, it has been a fun journey so far.

Mechanics include:

• Cheat codes, such as RESET and SPEED, and a few more, with new ones coming soon

• Moving objects, such as falling walls, back-and-forth projectiles, and so forth

• Mediocre dialogue

• Much more timers, messages, and switches

• And not so much more

If I wasn’t made clear, “A Platformer”, is meant to be a rage game. In fact, most games I make are. I have been considering making a easy mode variant of this game. Which should be available for testing sometime around January 2023.

Also, I apologize for the low quality of this game. More visible touches will be added soon, and I have yet to - but would like to - dabbled in code blocks, such as:

• In View (Triggers)
  • Expression (Logic & Math)
  • Global (Logic & Math)
  • Object Value (Logic & Math)
  • Ease (Logic & Math)
  • Repeater (Logic & Math)
  • Router (Logic & Math)
  • Logic Gate (Logic & Math)

And to finish this small announcement, If you have any feedback, questions, or suggestions, don’t hesitate to let me know.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

it seems to be bugged, the game won’t start and all i see is a blue screen with a door, and i can’t go into the editor to switch the level.

1 Like

@BradenS Oh dear. I had to delete the original copy, due to some issues, and I never fixed it on here. Here’s the new link A Platformer

1 Like

i think you have created a very successful rage game. by “successful” i mean it successes at making me rage a lot :sweat_smile: i’m currently stuck on this level.

Ah Yes. I may have to move that as a later level, since the difficulty slope kind of spikes on that level. If a level is too difficult, you can find some cheat codes in the Player object’s code. I hope you are having fun, nonetheless!

1 Like

I love the second red level, reminds me of undertale

Yes, I got a decent portion of inspiration from Undertale, it truly is an amazing game, and had some amazing boss battles.

1 Like

Also, I’m not sure if you’ve heard it, but the song in the first boss fight is not mine (I must change it soon), and the second boss level song is somewhat mine, I don’t own the original, but is based off of “Big Shot” from Deltarune, but my version is much worse

1 Like

love that song, i wondered if i was imagining that the song sounded like it lol

1 Like

Lol, Yeah, It’s such a banger. Working on the third boss level now, so it’s not very…good right now.

1 Like

I need assistance, if it’s not too much to ask.

Problem: I am trying to make a new game mode, for experimentation, for now, and I am hoping to make a game mode similar to the UFO from Geometry Dash.

The main problem I have been facing is the character falling too fast, and when I do manage to jump mid-air, it barely jumps at all. As you may see, it’s quite a predicament, and any help or advice whatsoever would be tremendously helpful, and much appreciated.

Thank you.

use Velocity instead of Impulse. it works much better. but be sure to set the y velocity to a negative number so it goes up. i can make an example tomorrow if you don’t get it figured out by then.

1 Like

alright, i can make this

1 Like

@106297

1 Like

By Golly, it worked! Thank you, it really helps!

1 Like

glad i could help :grin:

1 Like

I now have multiple game modes in “A Platformer” and these game-modes include:

• Regular platform, side-scroll style movement

• A Flappy Bird type movement; small jump height, but jumps mid-air, many times

• Top-down style movement, classic up, down, right, left movement

• And currently, I will be working on a grav-switch game-mode

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Grav-switch is now available.
Until further notice, I’m just going to be working on making a soundtrack for the game, and thus will most likely not be making any new levels, but I will be trying to fix all existing bugs and/or problems, so if you see any of those, let me know.

Enjoy

1 Like

My fellow coders, I request assistance.

About two months ago, I added the UFO game-mode to “A Platformer.” Today, I noticed something about the game-mode that I had previously had problems with, but had never really cared about, until I started paying more attention to this game.

In levels 28 and 29, more than any other levels, if you touch the left or right arrow keys while in mid-air, you will begin moving in that direction until you hit the ground. Of course, you can move the other direction mid-air, but the same problem exists. This problem also occurs in other game-modes, except the top-down game-mode, but that hasn’t been used yet - Although the grav-switch game mode has the least problems with this, on contrary to the UFO game-mode. Today, I made it on the UFO (I’ll add it on other modes later) where if the left or right arrow key is not being held down, the Player’s velocity is set straight to 0. While that is good, and much better compared to my previous problem, it isn’t all that smooth to look at.

So, my question is if anyone can tell me how to make it quickly ease into 0 velocity, so like with a small amount of give, but really quick. I’m guessing it would have to be done with the Ease tool, but I’m too smooth brain to figure it out.

Thank you.