Name-specific proximity sensors just don't work

Under that option, ya git

ohhh I get what your trying to do now

Yeah, i think i’m just gonna have to bite the bullet and put the text into the buttons themselves

Well, i appreciate everyone trying though

PS: Name-based proximity sensors are still broken, though

1 Like

you can always use ray cast or collision!

Hey @Crigence - I just took a look, and I don’t see any Proximity blocks in the Mouse object. I’m assuming you took them out due to the problems you were having.

I’m not able to reproduce the bug as described. I just created a new game, added two objects, and added a Proximity check based on the name and it seems to be working OK:

There must be something specific to the Button or Mouse object that is preventing the name from being selected properly. Where is the mouse object itself placed in the level? Is it being spawned in after the game starts? If so, that might be a clue.

3 Likes

I would extract the X and Y positions of the buttons and use 4 expressions to add and subtract to that to get your area of the button, whenever the mouse falls within this area, show the description.

@grazer Yeah, i removed them in favor of just running the code in the button object. It’s unnecessarily frame-eating but it works

That test isn’t entirely accurate, since the block with the sensor would be attached to the mouse and non-solid in my case

Also, this might be another clue but the curse apparently affects whatever Flowlab game i play since i just checked your game and the proximity sensor looks like this:

What in the world? Does the proximity work if you play the game - in other words, does the label update when the blocks touch?

Also, would you mind looking at the browser console when you load my game to see if you spot any errors?

The label updates properly, and if i create a new object the proximity sensor doesn’t seem to detect it despite the sensor itself saying it’s supposed to be… What IS going on here?

Here’s the browser console immediately after starting the game, nothing seems strange here by my standards

Thanks for checking that, @Crigence.

Just so I understand, this is my understanding of what you see when testing my game:

1. It appears to work properly (label updates on screen)
  2. If you look at the Proximity settings, the object name is missing (even though it works)
  3. If you add your own object with a name proximity check, it does not work

Is proximity check the only trigger that’s behaving this way for you? Does Collision work properly?

2 Likes

That all sounds about right except number 3, i made another object to interact with the proximity sensor to make sure it’s actually name checking (Which it was). Still can’t make my own named-based proximity sensor, though

I haven’t tested name-based ray-casts or collisions yet, i’ll have to get back to you on that one

@grazer
I just tried making a name-specific proximity sensor in your game and it actually worked!

I was also able to make a name-specific ray-cast and collision. So that leaves the only possibility left as something in the Mouse block itself interfering with the proximity sensor

A new problem IM having is that whenever the proximity sensor detects something it won’t work. Just never. In fact one time it deleted itself.

Have you tried selecting the only trigger once to no so it will repeat? At least that’s usually the reason it don’t work for me.

just tried what you said a minute ago. works now.