New Article: 3 Easy Ways to Get More Plays 🗞️

:newspaper_roll: New article posted on the site:

3 Easy Ways to Get More Plays

A few simple tips for attracting more players to your game

If you have any feedback, please post it - thanks!

10 Likes

wow

3 Likes

I kind of like how you explain to keep the name of a title kind of short, but then proceed to use “The Cow Snatchers from outer Space”, which is about one of the lengthier titles I’ve seen, lol.

Jokes aside, when it comes to games getting attention and views, I think there should be some sort of advertising system or some way to display your game without scrolling through hundreds of pages on the main website to find a well-made game that you never heard of.

I’ve noticed the search bar still has some minor issues since you can only look up games by using either the exact title or words that are in the title. Sadly, you can’t even look up users anymore which I sometimes find easier to look for games that way.

I know a few users wanted some sort of way to advertise games or choose games at random to suggest to players, the only downside to this is that the amount of finished and polish games are completely buried by many new and untouched projects. So, I think there should be an option in the editor that could determine whether or not the game is completed, which can be set by the owner of the game. And there could be requirements for these games such as they have to be created and must be a week or older, must have a screenshot or cover, and maybe include some sort of text in the description. So that way it helps decrease the number of rushed projects.

I also saw on roblox how it often times suggest games or displays ads for games around the games page. What I feel would be cool, is if flowlab keeps track of what type of games you play and filter out finished games of similar genre. Since you can add tags onto games to describe key aspects and genres of the games, I feel like if flowlab kept track of these tags when you play games and suggest new games that use these tags. Then, somewhere on the games page, could be a row of suggested games or something similar as I mentioned above. Like you could have a row of games based on tags such as for horror and one for platformer, etc.

I don’t know if there’s a limit to how many tags can be put on a single game, but I can see if someone spams every tag onto a game so it has a high chance to display regardless of what kind of game you play, but you could add a limit if there isn’t one already.

These are just some suggested I had, and I’m not quite sure what is possible, but from my experience, the only games I actively know of are those I hear about on the forums, the flowjam, or new featured games that I’m assuming were promoted on the discord. I do like that flowlab has a blog and it’s really good for new and old players to expand their knowledge, but I’ve noticed that finding new games is a bit of a hassle sometimes.
Again, I don’t mean any disrespect to tear apart the website, but I’ve noticed many other users experiencing similar issues.

8 Likes

I agree with all of these things.

10 minutes later: I’m still reading this.
This is very useful.

2 Likes

Hey @ManiacPumpkin - thanks for the feedback, and you’re right about the search and games result. I implemented a more sophisticated search a few months ago, but had to revert it, since it was getting very expensive very quickly.

I plan to revisit that soon though, so hopefully we’ll have some better searching and sorting options in the near future

8 Likes

Oh man, my later Vironia games will have some problems then, lol.

Also, are any of these blogs posted on any of Flowlab’s new Social Media accounts? I think this would help the message get farther and to more developers.

2 Likes