New Flowlab Release: Durian ✨

New Flowlab Release: Durian :sparkles:

This release has a few minor ui fixes, but is mostly focused on two new physics features:

Collision Groups :dart:

In an object’s physics settings, you can now select a “collision group”. By default, all objects are in the world collision group, where everything collides with everything else. The available groups are:

• World everything collides with everything (default)
  • Player collides with everything except other players
  • Enemies collides with everything except other enemies
  • Decorations collides only with the world
  • Custom collides with the groups you choose

Using collision groups is a simple way to enable physics collisions between only the objects you want.

Physics Joints :wheel:

Physics Joint is a new behavior that works similarly to attachments, except the attached objects retain their physics properties like collisions. Physics joints can also be flexible or breakable.

Three types of Physics Joints are available:

• Spin Joint the two objects can rotate freely - useful for wheels or articulated joints
  • Weld Joint the two objects are stuck together
  • String Joint the two objects can spin freely and also move within a minimum & maxiumum distance from each other

Joints also have settings to determine how rigid/flexible/springy/breakable they are, so feel free to experiment :slight_smile:

Please let me know if you encounter any issues, thanks!

25 Likes

WOW YOU RREALLY OUT DID YOUR-SELF!!! :rofl: :+1: :hear_no_evil:

10 Likes

Oh this is awesome! I remember the Physics Joints from the debug thing. I can’t really use Flowlab right now but would you be able to switch an objects collision group through behaviors? Would be pretty cool. Besides from that, this update is awesome. :+1:

9 Likes

Wait I completely forgot we got layered collisions as well because joints were talked about so much lol, this is an awesome update! Getting some of the main things wanted for a while, grazers been cooking :shallow_pan_of_food:

11 Likes

Wow! This is pretty cool.

Yeah, me too, and now it’s an official behavior!

Yay!

Yay!

O-Oh, ok… nice.

2 Likes

someone needs to make a skeletron battle game for the next flowjam

8 Likes

I already thought of that!!! lol.

3 Likes

YOOOOOOO LAYERED COLLISIONS??? THIS UPDATE IS FIRE!!! :fire: :fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:
Not to mention that the fruit is the Durian, which is a special fruit to me, what a coincidence

7 Likes
2 Likes

Glad the most exquisite fruit names are chosen for these updates :smiling_face:

2 Likes

What determines which objects are placed in the “Player”, “Enemies”, and “Decorations” groups?

1 Like

Wow! This is definitely going to be fun to use! Great job on the update! I cant wait to use it. :+1:

4 Likes

You can place them in those groups if you would like to use them. There is nothing really special about those groups, they are just built-in so you have some default options to use for common cases if you want.

6 Likes

I am on mobile, so I cant test it right now… But is it possible to make the fragile option hit something break? I wasn’t sure, because it said stretch in the behavior help.

5 Likes

Yes, if it hits something hard enough to stress the joint beyond its breaking point, it will break

8 Likes

ok, thanks! I was thinking it might be usefull to make a breaking sword. LOVE this update! :grinning:

3 Likes

NNot the tastiest…

But a good update, nonetheless.

4 Likes

Does the message option “send to all attached objects” Work with joints?

I think TheBrickccentric said the “All Spawned” or “Last Spawned” options work with it.

4 Likes

Ok, got it. Thanks!

2 Likes