New post up on the blog - Game Dev 101: What is a game?

I’d love to hear any feedback anyone has:

11 Likes

I was wondering when a new article would come out! This is a great one, and probably my favourite one so far. It’s interesting how it breaks down what a game is and the essentials of one. Hope the next one comes soon :blush:

3 Likes

You knocked this one out of the park too, keep up the great work! :+1:

3 Likes

N O I C E
One hundred percent agree. One game category you forgot, tho:
Amogus :upside_down_face: (Although I guess that counts as puzzle. Continue.)
Also, this is literally the first time I’ve checked out the blog and- wait. Is that Focus II?
Hey, wadda you know?
Anyhow, I totally get the idea. I’m trying to make rotatio nice and stuff by basing (but not copying) the ideas from Focus II, because it is just so addictive!..
Oh wait. I forgot i have a 48 hour challenge on the clock. Cheers!

2 Likes

@hihilogic Among Us, along with other mafia like games, falls under the social deduction / role based category.

You have to deduce who is the possible odd one out- the mafia, the impostors, the monster, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for making this! Making a game fun is what I struggle with most, and it’s nice to see the aspect simplified and explained.

3 Likes

Ah, yes. I’m such a silly goose :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Finally had a chance to catch up on the blog. Great article and very important concepts for designers at all levels to consider.

I enjoyed this book This book a great deal and it holds a place of honor on my bookshelf. Creating “fun” is hard. Balancing challenge and reward is hard. But building games is super awesome and this sort of info is invaluable.

@grazer Thanks for posting. Keep it up!!

4 Likes