New users info and tricks

Ain’t no way… Ain’t no way I didn’t know this until now lol this is so useful for organization

3 Likes

Wait for what! Oh the pain you must have gone through

2 Likes

SAME HERE, suddenly everything is so much faster! This whole thread could be made into a document in the help section… “Advanced tips and tricks”

3 Likes

haha, we should get a whole bunch of people to add a whole bunch of tips here, because I realized that they are scattered everywhere, so:
@paisleypug @Samuel_Tomé_PixelPizza @KiwiLeaf_Entertainment @ManiacPumpkin @117JOJO @KaptainChris @meburningslime @MetaNinja @Metal_Swords @nhgcr_for_the_3rd_time

5 Likes

more because I could only put 10
@John_Shrekinson @Teaslee @LMTPE @DraftyScienceCoat75 @DeDexter @HuckleBerry @Ramshackle

5 Likes

@00T_Free @sup3r87 @glowbug @Galactian @GODZ @JR01 @ShadowGaming @Baron_Wasteland

5 Likes

these could also help a bunch of you, because sometimes even experienced peeps may not know, but I summoned these guys so they could also add stuff, hopefully this can become a thread where when new users come we can just refer them here and they could learn a bunch of stuff (:

4 Likes

wondering whether I should ping grazer, since he should know the most, plus he could add this to the tutorial for new people who don’t necessarily come to the forums

4 Likes

I have been summoned

4 Likes

I have also been summoned

4 Likes

Forum tip - if you need to go under the 20 character limit, cover extra text with < and >.

8 Likes

Test

6 Likes
5 Likes

Pro tip, use globals instead of messages. Instead of sending 5 messages to 5 different objects to tell it something, use a global and set it to 1 if you want to send information and set it to 0 if you dont. In the other objects behaviors have a filter to detect if the global is equal to 1 and have it do something.

7 Likes

You can use Globals to make achievements only achieve once

1 Like

I don’t really have any tips…

Achievements already only activate one…? (Also just a switch turning itself off)

3 Likes

When using the line or circle tool in the sprite editor, it changes what the result is based on the smallest pox size, not on the pixel size you currently have selected

Ex: having it on 16x16: the cursor still recognizes 32x32 placement

You can have lots of things happen in one frame, you just have to get the order right. Triggers activate from left to right, outputs trigger like you read a book (in English), left to right then top to bottom. Objects don’t have a specific order they trigger in. The once behavior DOES NOT trigger the moment the object is created. This means that if a message is sent to an object directly after it spawns (in the same frame) the message can be received and trigger something before a once trigger activates.

This is more of a general tip: don’t let yourself be limited by the obvious games you could make. When I started I did mostly side view games and sometimes top down when I figured that out. In flowlab you really have a lot you can manipulate. People have made their own text from objects, pseudo 3D, and lots of other creative things that you wouldn’t expect from a surface level game dev. Basically, don’t be afraid to try out crazy ideas. The worst that can happen is it’s a failure and you can’t do it. However, you learn a lot in the process and you are able to create or think of other ideas to try out.
Flowlab gives you relatively simple tools, but with simple tools you can make something intricate and beautiful.

9 Likes

Are you a bored,lazy,tired mobile user who wants to create mobile controls for their game but cant be bothered making their own code? Replace the “keyboard” blocks with “mouse click” in the run and jump bundle. Now you’ll never have to create your own code for mobile and actually think again!

1 Like

Behavior order is honestly so important to know. I see people saying some behaviors activate faster than others, but it’s just behavior order. Typically it doesn’t affect things too much, but a lot of people have small problems that they can’t solve because they didn’t realize it was a behavior order issue.

2 Likes