New users info and tricks

Here is a place to put things that the average/new user would not know, like, for me I just realized today that in the camera behaviour, to go left and bottom you have to put negatives… that used to annoy me why I couldn’t change the boundaries of a camera, I’m dumb

anyways, that’s the start, so when there’s a new user, they can just check here and see stuff (:grin: feel free to add your tips and suggestions so this grows. @CodeAlpaca

8 Likes

The color of inputs indicate what can be used there.

White = Numbers
Purple = Text
White circle around Purple = Text AND Numbers
Green = Lists (both Number and Text Lists)

8 Likes

Hold down the Shift key while dragging behaviors to only drag the one you selected.

11 Likes

hehehe, this is definitely not a scheme to get info for myself and I am definitely not a “average” user

4 Likes

this one right here is about to make me go E. I WISH I KNEW THIS ONE SOONER

3 Likes

Just found out you can send a NUMBER to a message block, which will then both take THAT NUMBER and send it to the corresponding mailbox.

I thought it was just an “Activate to send an ‘on’ message” thing, eg that it would just send a 1 somewhere.

8 Likes

Game editor tips

1. You can resize sprites in the editor by clicking an object, and then holding down on the blue square in the bottom right corner.

2. You can press “S” to change to the selection tool. This is useful to fill in large areas

• When you paste what you you have selected, it will paste from the position of the mouse to the right and down.
  1. You can hold “Space” to only use the hand to move around. Useful so you don’t accidentally grab some objects.
3 Likes

That’s purple?!? I thought it was blue lol

3 Likes

What editor color are you using? I use the standard flowlab, but other editor options might use different colors

1 Like

I use the classic flowlab. I might have seen it as blue because of my color blindness.

4 Likes

Omg yeah we have the same color blindness – i see it as blue as well

3 Likes

I’ve got another one – Inputting a number into the “spawn” input of a Spawn block will assign it a Spawn ID of that number. You can then extract that object’s spawn ID.

6 Likes

This one is really useful. It works with attach, spawn, and emit too

6 Likes

yo, im learning so much here
Here is another one: You can only have ONE mouseclick behaviour in a object or it will act funky

And can someone explain what putting some behaviours on top of another one does?

4 Likes

Do you mean one behavior covering the other or just above it in the editor? If it’s the latter, then it might be because Flowlab will perform behaviors from top to bottom and from left to right, so in some cases, the positioning of your behaviors matter

6 Likes

Well I guess I learn something new again:
Quoting @Recryptech:" Flowlab will perform behaviors from top to bottom and from left to right, so in some cases, the positioning of your behaviors matter"

5 Likes

Behavior order normally isn’t that important for most people, but when it is, if you don’t know how it works it can be really difficult to find the problem. Knowing how to use it well can almost entirely remove the need to use timers set to 0.

This is even important for the input order. So if you set the Angle and Emit the object at the same time the angle is set afterward because the Emit input is above Angle.

4 Likes

Ooh, got a really good one that I just figured out

An animated object that has more pixels that its original is not counted in the objects hitbox, which means you can make a small tree trunk base as its original sprite, then animate leaves and stuff with the trunk that aren’t counted as the hitbox, which means you can go through the leaves but not the tree base

4 Likes

hehe i know where you got that from

2 Likes

hehehehe

2 Likes