New version released: Entawak

New Flowlab Release: Entawak

This release is focused on performance, efficiency, and fixes :checkered_flag:

(but there are a some new features too)

New Stuff :sparkles:

• Infinite scroll option for Camera behavior
  • Open URL behavior is now called Fetch URL
  • New Fetch URL Option: open url in new tab (current behavior)
  • New Fetch URL Option: load data from url and output text
  • New Fetch URL Option: load image from url and replace sprite
  • Frame Rate behavior is now called Level Physics
  • New Level Physics Option: speed (this is now a % instead of a specific value)
  • New Level Physics Option: drag (physics drag of level)
  • New Level Physics Option: gravity (gravity of level)
  • New Render Scale setting - this scales the size of the visible game area while playing
  • New Frame Rate game setting: 30 or 60 fps, with or without vsync
  • New Full Screen feature: get screen dimensions when in full screen
  • ā€˜Object Valueā€™ renamed ā€˜Object Variableā€™ and moved to properties category
  • (Indie Users Only) 1K new premium professional sound effects from Gameburp
  • (Indie Users Only) New ski sprite set from Kenney.NL

Bug Fixes :lady_beetle:

• General optimizations to labels, behaviors, and core engine
  • Smoother, more consistent animation playback
  • Emitted object evaluation order changed so that objects are evaluated after emit for correct rotation & velocity in behavior logic
  • Game loading optimizations (smaller download footprint before ready to play)
  • Mouse clicks in parents work when object is Spawned in
  • Attached labels in parents are cleaned up on despawn/destroy
  • Fix WebGL error in behavior window
  • Fix potential crash in Color behavior
  • Rendering fix for ā€˜half-pixel correctionā€™ & animation edge bleeding

Please check it out, and let me know if you have any problems. Thanks!

19 Likes

I love noticing new updates before it gets announced. What I didnā€™t know was the indie sound effects, I gotta try them out soon!

4 Likes

Hey, fruity people! This post is for anyone who wants to know where this updateā€™s fruit name comes from!

4 Likes

So exited! I canā€™t wait to try these out!

2 Likes

Why do these things always come out within the few hours that Iā€™m not on?

Nice! This is definitely going to come in handy for the next game Iā€™m making!

Sweet. Itā€™s finally here!

The settings updates too! This is great! Thanks for the update, grazer!

Iā€™ll be doing some gamedev today, Iā€™ll let you know if anything goes wrong.

Would it be possible to have a text input to change the url? So we can change the URL in the game?

2 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s possible, which is why you can use multiple URL behaviors and use a router to change it and stuff. Unless you need to type in the URL while the game is running.

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking f making a chat, and when you clicked on a URL in the chat message, it opened it. It was just a thought, although it would be nice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is possible to some degree, check the docs for an explanation and let me know if anything isnā€™t clear.

4 Likes

Ok, thank you!

I know Iā€™m late to the party once again, but just popping in to say this update is incredible. The animation fix is certainly a godsend, especially when trying to get consistent results on different performance devices.

3 Likes

So close to having a fast forward option, if the speed change affected things like Timers it would be glorious

2 Likes

Timers measure clock time, so I donā€™t think it makes sense to have the physics speed affect them?

3 Likes

Its been updated so that 60fps in the settings give 60fps in the code. The actual fps behavior only effects the physics engine and now uses a percentage scale to control how fast or slow the game is. 30 and 60 fps modes in the game settings will not change anything in the physics because that runs per second despite fps, which is why fps behavior is changed to percentage (also it makes more sense and reduces confusion on what the behavior actually does).

Timers work by real time, outiside of fps, so it isnt effected by any fps settings.

2 Likes

Hello,
I am unsure if this is intentional, but the ā€œsend to attached objectsā€ option for messages does not apply to jointed objects. If this is intentionally designed, I would greatly appreciate ā€œsend to joints.ā€

3 Likes

ā€œSend to all spawnedā€ sends to jointed objects

5 Likes

what im new :sweat_smile:can you plz explain whats happanening and im still young im not good at spelling that much

Are you looking for an explanation of sending messages to Joints?
Or just an explanation of this update in general (or of Flowlab in general)?

1 Like

Hey @radiat - welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

If you have a question, your best bet is to make a new topic and ask your question there.

3 Likes