"Parent" feature?

What exactly “Parent” feature can do when I create new Object? Thanks.

Parents affect the physics and behaviors on their child objects. This can be useful for, say, particle effects.

@Superstargames Can you explain more, I can not understand exactly, thanks.

@Superstargames Incorrect, actually

okay say Object 1 has an once connected to a zero connected to an alpha. This makes object 1 invisible

Object 2 has its own behaviors, but has object 1 set as its parent object. This will make object 2 invisible as well, because it will inherit the behaviors from object 1.

additionally, if something has a collision set to object 1, but touches object 2, it will count as touching object 1 as well, since object 2 is a child object of object 1.

does this make sense?

Question:
Is there a list somewhere that explains what behaviors are connected?
Also, which ones can be ‘overwritten’ by the child?
Like X,Y position, etc.

( yes, asking because I’m too lazy to try all different scenarios out …)

@TinkerSmith pretend everything the parent has is in the child object, but you cant modify it

Anything that happens in either object will happen in the child object, but in the order they’re triggered.

@TinkerSmith - the child objects don’t actually “override” anything, the way it works is that parents run their logic first, then children.

So in the case of x position, you could have the following scenario:

Object Type A -> set x to 100
Object Type B ( child of A ) -> set x to 25
Object Type C ( child of B ) -> set x to 50

So at the end of the frame when the object finally renders, x would be set to 50. Does that make sense?

Not what I would want, LOL, but yes, it makes sense :slight_smile:

Was hoping I can use it for the Fake 3D sprite stacking, but that would require that every child has a different Y value. So if I lift the ‘child’ in Y everything else from that ‘family’ would move along by what I understand.

@TinkerSmith,
you could set the parent to center and then +y to the position in the child.
The child is only at the position the Parent is assigned to.

Child copies Parent, but the Parent doesn’t copy the child.

Ahhhh, that will do it :slight_smile: thanks