Pastel Run Reviews

Hey! I’m looking for reviews of my game. Please be brutally honest. I truly want this to be the best game it can be. How can it be more engaging? More fun? Additions? Would be nice to get a review from you @CodeAlpaca!

Thanks for your help!

4 Likes

So at first glance, here are some things.

1. I would change the Leaderboard icon slightly to make it more clear/fit a little better
  2. Have the music in an object set to keep between levels, that will stop the jarring sound when entering a new level
  3. The “FX” text on mobile has a little bit of gray next to it.
  4. I managed to get stuck (twice), so I could no longer move. (This was on mobile)
  5. I would use JRs leaderboard example to get your top score (Otherwise it is possible to cheat and get a fake score)

Overall the game is pretty clean, good job.

3 Likes

Pretty fun, but I ended up getting stuck and couldn’t move

1 Like

Thanks for the review!

I will be sure to add the suggestions you gave me. As for the weird glitch where you get stuck, I have tried to fix that constantly, but I can’t find what causes this issue. If you can find the cause, please show me!

Once again,
Thanks!

3 Likes

Alright you said too be brutal, correct? Let me just apologize before hand.

Well for one the art style is goofy because of the pixel consistency, there’s a lot of different sized pixels just stick to one pixel size. The character is a square so there’s no quality in that and the coins look a bit janky. The game play is meh, could use more modes(and a working shop).

Do not take offense to this you did say to be brutally honest, any way I really do like the game play it’s quite fun and interesting. Like I said before It could use a variety of game modes, I’m also Interested in what the shop sells. The art could use some work, also like I said before make sure to stick too 1 pixel size it makes your game look overall more pleasing and professional. In my opinion I think giving the game a retro art style would look the best according to the actual game itself since it has a more arcade feel to it. Any way I overall enjoy the game, needs a bit of work still but I know it will come out a great game so good luck too you and best of wishes.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

I take no offense to any criticism as long as its helpful. Your feedback was most definitely helpful. A good character design has always been difficult for me, so in most of my games, you will see the character as a circle or square. For this game I do really want to find something that is not one of those. I’m just having trouble with ideas. Pixel consistency is needed I agree.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

If you need help with art I’m always here.

1 Like

I might take you up on that offer. Could I see some concept art first? Thank you for offering.

1 Like

What do you mean by concept art?

1 Like

Like ideas. Suggestions.

1 Like

Um hold on give me a minute I have to think

1 Like

Take as much time as you need

1 Like

I’m going to be honest with you maybe we should do a collab, I can do the art and you just make the game how you want? also there’s a bug in the game where I get stuck and can’t move. Since you have indie you can allow people to edit games. So if you were to copy your game and allow me to edit the copy I can show you a design I would Like to make for the game.

Also since the game is so simplistic there’s not really a reason to make the player anything besides a cube, also is there a reason the player changes color or is that for aesthetic.

Also just to show you that I’m not someone who is bad at art and is just saying that like a few select people coughs meburningslime coughs I can show you a link to my game with a really good art style.

@Tapeboiii is this whole thing a good idea or would you rather me just tell you ideas for the art?

The shop will have different colors

1 Like

Oh ok, that makes sense now is the color changing thing currently for test?

Yeah kinda for fun. I added it day 1.

1 Like

Did you read the other posts I sent

Yeah you should be added now