Plasmateriel (Kinematic / Procedurally Animated Shooter)

This is my entry for the 2024 summer Flowjam.

Please leave any feedback or questions below (I’ll probably get to them after the jam ends).

5 Likes

holy shrimp someone figured out procedural animation in flowlab, you NEED to make an example game

(also would you mind if i use your procedural animation system? i would credit you of course and the version in my game would be modified)

1 Like

awesome game, so far it can take the crown :crown:

3 Likes

I’ve modified the tutorial section a bit to try and make it easier to understand; any thoughts?

2 Likes

It’s pretty good, easy and to the point I think

2 Likes

A few things:
You restart the tutorial every time you finish a match
It’s not very clear what some weapons do - like the up close laser thing, I don’t know when it’s on or not
You can’t see enemy health

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!
-there is a teleporter to the left of where you spawn that lets you skip the tutorial
-Gun 4 is a sniper I guess, so its projectiles travel really fast. I’ve tested some ways to make the projectile more visible, just none that really look good yet
-I was going to have the character’s fill color itself be the health bar, since it would be like their plasma level going down . . . but this would require flowlab to have a masking behavior… For now I’m probably make an option to turn on health bars

3 Likes

Alright, I just made the sniper’s projectile more visible (using a trail); it still doesn’t look great in my opinion but at least it’s easier to see (any feedback?)
I also added a bunch of options to the pause menu, including the ability to turn on health bars for characters, as well as the option to hide all of the UI (including the health bars).
Also thanks to some feedback from Pixel Pizza I added the score counter to the Tutorial / menu level, so you can hopefully get a better idea that shooting costs your team plasma (soon I’ll probably add another section to the tutorial that fully explains how team plasma levels and scoring work).
If anyone has any other ideas or feedback, let me know!

2 Likes

Looks a lot better, I can tell whwat the weapon’s doing now

3 Likes

I really like the concept of this game, but I had full ammo and couldn’t shoot. It’s not the most fun to play in general either.

The enemies are pretty well-made with their random weapons. Walking over weapons to pick them up is very annoying though. I recommend changing it to a certain key.

2 Likes

yooo new update let’s go!!!
Will play again! Can’t wait for more stuff to come :fire:

I do agree that I would love to have more movement abilities, whether you have them at the start or whether you gain them. It would be cool to have a Double Jump (could be a temporary power-up) and an Evasive Roll Dash so I can dodge enemy bullets and go to a certain point faster.
I also think the portals take a bit too long to reset, I have to wait a bit too long to follow enemies.

But I see a lot of potential with this game, and I really like playing it.
Also, mobile controls would be really cool with this game, but I’m not sure if phones can handle this game yet.

2 Likes

So the whole idea here is that your team has a limited amount of plasma (in the big red or green tanks), and once it runs out, you cannot respawn or shoot (respawning and shooting cost your team plasma)

1 Like

That’s what I meant. I was just unable to shoot with a full tank.

Just played a match with the new update!
I love the new changes! The bars make it a lot cooler and more responsive.
I feel stronger already ahahah, it feels more fair!

2 Likes

Wait what? Was it your same color of tank?

1 Like

Sniper update! I love the sniper rifles in your games.

Pretty sure. I had good internet as well.

1 Like

Awesome, glad you’re enjoying it! Also sometime soon I’d love to take you up on your offer to do some art for it

3 Likes

Haha thanks.
If you could record it happening that would be great, otherwise I have no idea what could make that happen…
Wait do you mean the UI bar in the top right for your team still had some plasma left?

1 Like

Yeah, I think it was at the start of the game.

It could be a bug with the shooting mechanics in the gun or my old eyes just not seeing the old sniper rifle.

2 Likes

Maybe, I guess just let me know if it happens again

1 Like