Plymouth Entertainment - SOL [GHOST GUNNER - OUT NOW!]

Thank you! I hoping to make another SOL update video on there soon as well:D

5 Likes

Great! Every one of you game developers really help me decide what I am going to do on my channel! I hope you keep going, hope all will! :smiley:

3 Likes

NEW FREE TRACK - Tale of Balance

A new single track, just for fun:

“Tale of Balance” (FREE; Cinematic; Orchestra; Piano)

Cheers!

11 Likes

Starting work on enemies now! Got a basic X-plane patrol system finished (only detects ground, need to also add so it sees a ledge/gap as well). Planning to have varying types of patrol, such as a regular patrol, a patrol and then chase - x plane only, and a patrol then chase that can jump as well.

More info on this later, but I think I’ll start work on an update video once I finish up at least one type of enemy and the combat system along with it - since what is the point of having an enemy if there’s no health bar lol

6 Likes

SOL - BASE ENEMY X PLANE

Finished the basic movement (x plane only) for enemies. There is no functions added to player yet (ie. damage, punchback, attack registration). Enemy also doesn’t have an actual sprite or animation yet, just placeholder, but I’m happy with how it is right now.

1. Added ledge detection for enemy (so it doesn’t fall off)
  2. Added player detection depending on which way the enemy is facing.
  3. Added player and enemy position comparison for chase logic.
  4. Added chase and calm down function for enemy.
  5. Made enemy non-gravity and non-collision for smoother control and to allow more flexibility in combat (such as running past the enemy instead of having to jump over it).
  6. Adjusted logic for non-gravity and non-collision settings.

Also did a few adjustments with the door and death sound FX. Other than that, nothing else:D But more to come soon. Also, looking forward to the upcoming Flowjam! I hopefully can join you guys in the competition!

Cheers!

7 Likes

PLYMOUTH ENTERTAINMENT - 2022 REVIEW AND 2023 OUTLOOK FORM

I managed to quickly put together a small form to help us better understand the Flowlab audience. The form will take only about 5 minutes to complete, so if you could answer the questions honestly, it would be greatly appreciated!

You can go to the form here: Plymouth Entertainment - 2022 Review / 2023 Outlook

Cheers!

6 Likes

PLY-ENT GAMES UPDATE

Hello, all! Firstly, would like to put an update on the enemy - go a couple of designs down, but I think I’ll be sticking with the one below for the charge enemy (or at least a variation of which):

ChargeEnemy_V2

Needs animations for reg speed, charging (it turns into a ball lol), and alert, as well as transformations from charging to patrol. But, it coming around, and hopefully will be able to put an update video out soon!

Speaking of, for a new video to come out, here is my check list before I start making it:

• Make enemy animations (listed above)
  • Add animation system to enemy
  • Add proper logic to adjust enemy speed during transformation in and out of charge mode
  • Player gets pushed back when hit
  • Player health bar (and functions)
  • Enemy health bar
  • Enemy drops (particles, health, etc.)
  • Make video:D

And final update, is my current situation for the Flowjam: I don’t think I’ll be participating in this one, unfortunately. Had a cool idea, but honestly can’t keep the motivation up, keep working on SOL, and do a big Flowjam project all at the same time. So I’ll be keeping the idea on tabs just in case I want to make it in the future. But to you all, good luck! I’ve already seen some pretty crazy things that I am VERY excited about, and cannot wait to play!

So good luck, and cheers!

10 Likes

It looks like a BB unit from Star Wars, lol.

4 Likes

I thought this too lol but I think I’m gonna roll with this version for now:D

3 Likes

It still looks pretty cool and distinct from the actual droid so you should have no worries.

Can’t wait to encounter him in game.

4 Likes

SOL - COMBAT AND ENEMY UPDATE

Got a few things checked off the list, as well as a few other things:

1. Made a new sprite for the charging enemy, as well as added a patrol animation. Here it is below, but it is an older version as I edited it in the Flowlab editor:
    ChargeEnemy_V3.1Patrol
  2. Added a little flare to the light bulb to the sprite with an attached sprite:
    CE_LightFlare
  3. Charge enemy is now able to be effected by the environmental lighting. I’m still looking into having the player being effected by the enemies lighting.
  4. Adjusted charge enemy movement, as well adjusted the sprite and animation opacities.
  5. Added enemy attack pushback on player.

There is still some issues with the enemy not having gravity, and will sometimes just ignore the missing ground trigger - and I might still change the look of the charging enemy. I think for next update I’ll work on the sprite and animations, and touch on the player and enemy health systems.

More till next time, cheers!

12 Likes

Pun lol

2 Likes

Ahaaaa

I think this will be the final version… This is literally the 5 and a half version of this enemy lol but I’m happy where it got to:

V5 - sprite
V5Roll - movement animation

Very menacing, I know. Plan is for it to transform and go faster to go and charge at the player. So, the list of enemy animations is transform and charge:D

11 Likes

SOL - UI SPRITE AND MORE ENEMY ANIMATION

Pretty happy with the progress today:

1. Added enemy attack/charge animation
  2. Added enemy fall-death animation (oof)
  3. Started work on UI, finished full sprite for health and energy:

More to come, stay tuned! Cheers!

13 Likes

Sol is looking so clean! Absolutely love the art direction!

7 Likes

Thank you! Remember when it looked like this:

Came a long way lol
Also, this demo is from 2021, it’s literally been this long and this isn’t even the first version of the game. The discussion started in September 2020 :grimacing:

14 Likes

You’ve made incredible progress! Honestly it’s hard to believe how far it’s gotten since then.

7 Likes

I remember this. You’ve come such a long way, keep up the great work :slight_smile:

6 Likes

SOL - PROOF OF CONCEPT | PROGRESS UPDATE #2

The next SOL Progress Video will be published @ 7:30PM EST. This will give you an insight of the current development of the SOL project before I head back to college. You can tune in when it starts on my YouTube channel here:

Cheers!

9 Likes

I have an important question

is it pronounced “sole” or “saul”

3 Likes