Poetry For Neanderthals - CodeAlpaca

Hello, you all probably know me already, so I’ll skip the introduction. (And if not, An Autobiography)

Some of you may already know that I am currently working on a passion project of mine, but every 3-4 weeks I would like to take a few days to make a quick little game. This time, it was Poetry for Neanderthals.

A quick heads up, this game is designed for mobile, but still works on computers.
The sound is also a bit bugged, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated

This game also requires IRL people to play, so yeah, I hope you have family/friends

This is a fun little card game (not originally created by me) that was introduced to me by my brother’s girlfriend. After playing this game for a few rounds, it was incredibly fun, but I also realized it was quite simple. So I decided that I would like to make a mobile version of it.

So now I’m assuming you know what I spent the 8 hours working the past couple of days. (This time is excluding the time it took to come up with the cards)

How To Play / Rules

How To Play

Minimum Player: 4 (In Real Life)

Objective of

Poetry for Neanderthals

The objective of Poetry for Neanderthals is to score more points than your opponents by successfully getting your teammates to guess words while only giving them one syllable clues.

Setup for

Poetry for Neanderthals

Divide the players into teams. You should divide the players as equally as possible.

Players should sit around the table so the teams alternate positions. They will choose who on their team with be the first Neanderthal Poet.

This player takes the phone, making sure their teammate cannot see the screen.

Playing

Poetry for Neanderthals

When the “Next” button is clicked, a 3 second count off will be given before the round starts.

During the round the Poet is trying to get their teammates to guess as many words/phrases from the Poetry cards as possible.

Describing the Word/Phrase

The Poet begins their turn when the count down finishes.
This player should quickly study the card to see what word/phrase they are trying to get their teammates to guess. The player can either go for the one or three point word/phrase.

The Poet will describe their chosen word/phrase to their teammate. They can describe it in any way they want, but they need to follow a few rules.

• The Poet may only say words that are one syllable.

• You may not say a word or part of a word that appears on the current Poetry card. The one exception to this is if one of your teammates say it first.

• Once one of your teammates says the word (even if it is more than one syllable), the Poet is then allowed to say the word themselves.

• At no point can you use gestures or charades to act out the word/phrase.

• You can use qualifiers like “sounds like” or “rhymes with”.

• Abbreviations and initials are not allowed at any time.

• You can’t use words from other languages.

Scoring

If the Poet says a word with more than 1 syllable word they must lose 1 point (by clicking the Red “-1” circle)

If the Poet gets the top word, they may take the +1 point, or try and get the second part of the card, worth +3 points.

The team with the most points in the end is the winner.

Special Features

• Games can contain 2-8 teams, meaning everyone can enjoy the fun!

• Rounds can be customized. This is how many time each team gets a turn.

• Time limit is the amount of time each team is given to get as many cards as possible.

• Deck contains 125 unique cards. You will never receive a repeat card until you go through all 125 cards

This game was made with 4 Levels and 19 Objects, meaning it would easily be possible for a free user (excluding a small number of sound effects)

QR code for game

Pings

Sorry, but I did warn you that you would get pinged.
@Pixel_Name1 @DeDexter @Recryptech @117JOJO @Teaslee @Galactian @nhgcr_for_the_3rd_time @BradenS @117JOJO
Can only do 10 pings in 1 post, so I excluded Maniac

10 Likes

I checked it out. I’ll have to find people to try it out with.

2 Likes

Also, a previous example I gave to play the game is

Imagine your word is Cup, so you would try to describe it with 1 syllable words
so you might say “Thing that you drink out of that is made of glass and holds wet things”
So if I guess “CUP!” you would now be able to say that word. If you were trying to go for the 3-point word “World Cup”

So you might say;
“Blank Cup. Big round thing that we live on is”
“Earth!”
“Word for a big rock in space that things live on is”
etc

Here’s a video example from a game with the same name and very similar rules but definitely isn’t a complete copy of:

1 Like

Can’t check it out now, but is this the game you’ve been working on?

1 Like

I’ve been working on a different game, this one only took me 8 hours to make. I just wanted a quick little break and some different type of practice so I made this.
Every 3-4 weeks I’m going to try and make quick games like this

2 Likes

:face_with_spiral_eyes:
8 hours is quick for you? :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Considering I use flowlab for like 2 hours a day (not recently, I’ve been very busy) and spend more than 8 hours a day during the flowjam, 8 hours is quick. I made it over the span of 3-4 days

2 Likes

I have 125 cards rn (each with 2 words/phrases), but I want to add more.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

So it would be like “Cheese, Cheese Cake”, “Butter, Peanut Butter”

1 Like