SUMMER FLOWJAM 2021 SUBMISSION - Historically Loony, Comedic Time-Waster!

If anyone could give feedback, it’d be well appreciated (you should be able to play this on mobile @meburningslime, though the screen is probably small… and fullscreen doesn’t work from the browser on mobile, so just zoom in).

7 Likes

It’s cute, but I have no idea what I’m doing. I click on the squares, sometimes I get a face (is that good?) sometimes I get TNT (is that bad?). I’m not sure how I’m supposed to decide which blocks to click.

6 Likes

I agree with @grazer, it’s confusing. I like the character sprites, and the fact that all the pixel (except when they zoom in) are the same size is a huge plus. But you should add an objective and controls on how to play.

Overall I like it…

3 Likes

@grazer and @Bmarzi, thanks for the feedback! I’m finding it hard to implement a tutorial, because most of the game was built around the dialogue, which explains how to destroy tiles… but yes, it still doesn’t explain why or what artifacts do.

3 Likes

Is it better… at all? (sorry for the ping)
@Bmarzi @grazer

1 Like

looks nice I am still thorally cunfuzzeld

1 Like

Break tiles to find artifacts, TNT will blow up an area with a chance to find an artifact, depending on the rarity of an item… they go to your hall of fame or hall of lame.

plus, i’m planning to add a robbery system… to force players to keep playing.

I thought it was self explanatory… unless you just didn’t read ANY dialogue-

I submitted my game, but it’s not fully complete so I’ll update the game until the timer is at 0.

Ok, I think I’m starting to understand it - for one thing I didn’t know what “building a hall” meant. I suppose it is like a museum, right?

Is there any way to see the museum, or the artifacts collected so far? Is there any way to get better at the game? I just click around randomly and I’m not sure where I should be clicking to get an artifact. Also, sometimes the clicks don’t work.

I hope you don’t think I’m complaining, I think it’s cute and interesting - I’m just trying to help you improve it is all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it is improving - keep it up :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

You aren’t supposed to click, you’re supposed to click and hold, if you think i should change it, let me know. A way to get better… I guess I have 4 days to come up with something!.. right now you just discover artifacts, but I was hoping to get 6-16 more artifacts into the game, the final goal being 20…

I’m struggling to think of a progression system that can be added in 3 days, but I’m sure I’ll think of something…

Again, thanks for the feedback… Even though I won’t win the jam, I’m still glad I put a lot of work effort into it! (AKA my game design sucks but I can program, make simple art, and compose basic music LOL)

I was also hoping to add a way to view artifacts that were found, and the quantity… but at the current moment and the average progression of my details… which takes me a long time, I’d say it might never happen.

Nothing is good, nothing is bad. I guess the game is just something you play if you’re bored and have nothing else to do, digging up a tile has a random chance of having an artifact, and then it’s random on what artifact it is. Getting a tnt has a random chance of showing an artifact, and then a random chance of what artifact it is… you break tiles… and you tap to do so. I used 3 of the themes out of 4, even though they don’t fit into the game well. The point of the game was to just dig up artifacts and constantly add to your hall of fame, or hall of lame (depending on the rarity of the artifact you have). I was going to just add a robbery system and more artifacts, then end it there… but with this feedback, now I think I need to just redo the whole tutorial, but I really don’t have time for that, as the original one took 8 days alone (after failing time and time again).

Updated the game, there is now 4 new artifacts, a hall of fame and a hall of lame.

Edit: put the game on itch.io even though it’s not amazing i still wanted to put it there. I can still update the game so I’ll keep doing that up to the deadline.

1 Like

Great Additions! My only request is that you hide the artifacts you haven’t found yet.

1 Like

Alright, I’ll get that done now.

Added :slight_smile:

I think I’ll add some progression UI

1 Like

Neato so far, but I found a bug regarding saves and the artifacts, ran it over with the discord server because I need help fixing it.

I’ve checked the code 100 times and I could swear it looks like it should work, and when the code runs it is, but when i run it in a different level the saves… well they don’t read right.

1 Like

Alright, I have a resolution to the issue (credit to @rcreger for the idea). Since saves take a second or two extra to “save”, my saves aren’t “saving” when the player clicks to hide the artifact too quickly when it pops up. To fix this, I’m going to use a different object to store the saves. :slight_smile:

2 Likes