Super Basic Dynamic Lighting Test

Just messing around with simple dynamic lighting:

There can be multiple movable light sources, each with their own light intensity (which can be changed continually mid-game).
The performance isn’t amazing, so let me know if you have ideas for improvements or optimizations.

5 Likes

you can see stuff through walls

5 Likes

Yeah, the light goes through “walls”; shadows are a whole other thing entirely that add a lot of complexity (let me know if you figure out a way to do them)

4 Likes

I hate to brag, but I figured out shadows about 2 weeks ago
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1)

It turns out that creating shadows literally just looks like 3d walls going into the sky.

btw the reason it looks like it’s running at 10 fps is that the Gif converted the video to 10 fps

P.S.
This was made with @Galactian Ray Cast addon bundle (With a couple modifications)

5 Likes

That looks awesome, are you going to post the link when it’s ready?

5 Likes

Yeah, the one problem with it is it’s nearly impossible to reproduce in another game without quite a bit of repetitive work

5 Likes

This looks epic, can’t wait to see the finished project

2 Likes

So if you click the game link now I’ve made a different way of doing shadows…it is even worse for the performance than the original lighting system, but the shadows work with multiple dynamic light sources that can change their brightness and radius mid-game. It needs some more optimization, but there’s my take on shadows; any thoughts?

2 Likes

It seems to work really well (excluding the performance). In a game with static/mostly static light sources it would work great

2 Likes

Oh boy, the nerds are duking it out lol.

3 Likes