Three problems

Hi! I’m new to this and I’ve worked on a game for about a week, and I can’t seem to figure out three things:

1. When my character “Roland” jumps, the “jump” animation only plays when jumping straight up. Must I somehow write “jump + right and left” in the logic? And how do I write that?

2. When I try to kill the “Billybumbler” (the fox-like creature) by jumping on top of it, I loose life. Why?

3. I want my “Slow mutants” to change direction when hitting a wall, but otherwise walk in the left direction and still be affected by gravity; I thought I should use a flip, but I can’t make it work.

Thank you for any help that may be provided!

Aaaaand the link to the game :slight_smile:

http://flowlab.io/game/view/431361

Hey warmlander,

For problem #1 - you have the jump animation play when you press up, and the run animation play when you press left or right. This means that if you press them both at the same time, there is no way for the game to tell which animation you really wish to play. You could fix this by disabling the left/right animations when jumping, the same way you disable double-jumps.

For problem #2 - your Billybumbler collision trigger for damage is set to work on Roland’s left, right, and bottom. When his feet touch the Billybumbler, he loses health - disable the bottom check box and it should work the way you want.

For problem #3 - The slow mutant has his x velocity set to a positive direction all the time, which means he will always go right. Try setting his “forward” velocity instead, so that it will match the direction the object is facing. If you do this, you will want to change the forward direction to start out pointing right (edit -> properties ->forward). Now when he flips, the forward direction will change and his velocity will change as well.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thanks, grazer! I made # 2 work, but I couldn’t figure out #1 and 3 :confused:

When disabling left/right animation, should I "when Space is pressed->Animation G (walk)->stop? Or how do i disable it? :slight_smile:

On the slow mutant, should (number->-3 go to velocity->forward)? When I do that, he kinda “flows” through the sky, and not “walking/falling” naturally.

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

ok, so here is an alternate idea for the slow mutant: Instead of using the forward velocity, leave it using x velocity as you have it now but when you switch directions you also switch velocity from a positive (right) direction to a negative (left) direction.

For the animations: Right now, you have a switch that disables jumping when you press jump, and it is enabled again when you land. You could add switches that disable the left/right animations the same way. When you press jump, disable the left/right animation switches, then turn them back on when you land. Make sense?

Yeah, thanks - I understand the logic, but I don’t get it right - guess I’m to much of a newbie :slight_smile:
Where should I put the switch? Keyboard->Left/righ (up)->Switch(on)->Animation->stop?

With the slow mutant; is it something wrong with the flip I used? Cause if I delete that one, he kinda “moonwalks” to the left - it’s the direction I want him to start, but he’s facing the wrong way. And I can’t get him to change direction when a collision.

Now I kinda made it work with the mutant, but I can’t change the direction he’s facing :confused:

Ok, for the flip behavior I think you misunderstand how it works. There are three inputs:

“flip” - this reverses the sprite from it’s normal (default) direction
“back” - this returns the sprite to its default direction
“toggle” - this toggles back and forth between normal and reversed every time it triggers

All you need to do is trigger the “toggle” input when you switch directions and you will be good to go :smile:

Here’s what I changed to make him work, along with a few other suggestions for improvement:

flip

Wow, I totally did. Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

Hate to bother you, but I’m stuck with a new problem, on level 2. I’ve got a character who’s supposed to change animation between standing and hiding behind a barrel. I’m trying to get him to shoot everytime he stands up, and it works, but the shot will only go right; how do I change direction when “emitting”? Thanks a lot in advance!

Well, right now I’m confused (and I hope this is just a temporarily glitch): my whole level 2 seems to have been erased! WHAT HAPPENED? Is there a way to get it back?? All sprites are still there, but the level just disappeared! And I hade done a lot …

Hey warmlander,

You have found a bug, I think this is the same problem that Call 911 experienced the other day. I don’t think anything is lost (yet), there is just a problem with the loading - so please don’t make any changes until I get a fix deployed, and I think everything will be fine. I should be able to fix it today - thanks for reporting it!

Also - it seems to be related to the capsule loading, do you know if any of your objects are using a capsule physics shape?

Well, that’s a relief! Ok, I’ll stand by.

Yeah - I tried to make my guy (mentioned above) to shoot past the barrel, put it always stopped (i guess it somehow hit the barrel and stopped) so I think I tried changing it to capsule if it would do any difference. And shortly thereafter, it all vanished.

Hey Warmlander,

I got this issue sorted out, and the second level should be loading fine again. Let me know if you run into any issues like this again.