Top-of-the-line reviews! (The Crigence Critique)

http://www.flowlab.io/game/play/989308 - CUBED

I completely understand your ratings, and there is not much of a story there, no. But what I was doing was trying to make a short platformed demo that was based off what I could do for free. Believe me, if I could, I definitely would have added so much more, but due to the restrictions the free access gives me, I couldnā€™t. (Also, everything in the game has been tweaked in design. So it may be the default, but I made things more smoother, or added in details.) As of the lasers, I didnā€™t have enough supplies to know how to make a warning before-hand. However, thanks for the review, and it should help me steer my game in a better direction. Thanks!

@Crigence

@MagmaDude100
Alright, when i DO set my YouTube channel up iā€™ll be sure to leave it here!

Also, yes i am back and iā€™m going to try to get a review or 2 out today!

@Crigence yeah, the shooting and movement keys not wanting to work were all bugs caused by recent updates, as of now, ALL of my Starblast games are affected by those bugs. The one thing that really confused me is the play button and the others not working. Did you ever try using the quickplay menu (only appears in the title screen after your first session) The last time I played it all workedā€¦ @grazer can you look into this when you get the chance? (I emailed you)

Edit: I took a look at my game and tested all of the buttons. They all seem to work. I do know that large games (SB3 I believe is 50+ mb) tend to not load completely in flowlab, so as a result some logic is missing, sometimes even the sprites can be missing and are replaced by red squares. Another notice is the official sites version does lag far more than the other ports. In the url, (if you havent already) try replacing play with embed and it may work better.

Thanks for the criticism! Ill see what I can do.
I may clone SB3 and rework its systems so that it can be played without the bugs. But thats really hard now that my school indirectly blocked flowlab.

I know my game is confusing and all, so i tried to piece together a tutorial back then so It probably needs updating.

@ā€œJohnny boyā€
Well, you were half-right about the difficulty! Hereā€™s the notes i took:

+Ok graphics
+Ok controls (Minus getting stuck on walls)
+What the heck is that one enemy? A coffee machine?
+Okay, the one enemy that disappears now and then is actually kind of brilliant.
+The ā€œYou hackerā€ system was pretty clever, though i easily disabled it. (Also itā€™s not hacking, i just hit escape)

-Lazy menus (I just realized how much i take notes of the menusā€¦)
-Whatā€™s with those weird minion head things above some gaps? You just fall through them and they trick first time players into thinking theyā€™re bridges! Just get rid of them!
-I know this is an engine issue, but you REALLY need to do something about the fact you get stuck on walls if you grind up against them! Make them shorter or something!
-Whatā€™s the point of the lever section in level 1? It just extends playtime in the mostā€¦ Lazy way possible!
-The spikes against the wall in level 2 are justā€¦ Lazy.

My biggest problem with this game, is that yes, it is difficult: But itā€™s not the fair kind of difficult! The character is WAY too slippery, most of the enemy and spike placement is just cheap (Like the ones between the coins) and this game all around just feelsā€¦ Lazy.

Scores (Scale of 1/5)

Graphics - 2
Music - 2 (That score is for repeating the same song that barely fits the level twice)
Controls - 3
Stability - 4.5 (I removed a .5 because every now and then ā€œJohnnyā€ just refuses to jump!)

Final Score: 3/5.
Itā€™s not a BAD game, itā€™s justā€¦ Lazy.

Recommendations:
I really do not know for this one, all the complaints i had were in the notes. ~Crigence

I updated the description, take a look!

@Crigence thanks for reviewing my game. I know its not very good. It was my first game I made on Flowlab. I know its a little cheap. But I did that on purpose so that people cant just beat it in a day. You have to practice to beat it.

Hereā€™s something old of mine.
https://addoplayz.itch.io/insanity-parkour

I would love for you to review my game. The concept is simple, dodge objects as they bounce around a room. More objects are thrown in as time progresses. One problem it has is a lot of lag when there is a lot of objects on screen. I hope you enjoy playing it. https://flowlab.io/game/play/993145

@ā€œJR 01ā€
I did my best to play your game, hereā€™s my notes:

+Nice description!
+Good music! (Even thought itā€™s mostly default)
+It looks pretty good!
+At least the only menu that works (Credits) looks good!
++Unique style

-I skipped into the game, i only got a white screen with text.
-Whatā€™s with the car expanding in the intro?
ā€“I got to the boot up menu, and i couldnā€™t get in. I encountered a bug ALREADY!

Iā€™m starting to notice a trend with these great looking games, every time a game looks good: The functionality takes a nose dive (Starblast 3 is the other game i noticed this in)! Sorry if this sounds mean, but can you guys wait until you have an actual game to play before you send it to me?

Scores (Scale of 1/5)

Graphics - 4.5
Music - 3.5
Controls - 0 (There was nothing to control!
Stability - 1

Final Score: 3/5.
You got the same score as Starblast 3 for a reason.

Recommendations:
Fix the bugs, or if this issue is somehow tied to my computer, optimize the game and keep working on it! ~Crigence

What do you guys think of the name ā€œThe Crigence Critiqueā€ for this discussion?

@Simple_doge5
Well, there are other people waiting to get their games reviewed and frankly i donā€™t really want to review 3 games from the same person so iā€™ll just do Slime Slay. Hereā€™s my notes:

+Looks pretty good!
+This reminds me of a very specific game that got popular in 2017ā€¦ Cough Cuphead COUGH
+Surprisingly fun!

-No visual signal for when the rocks will fall. A earthquake sign under it or something would be nice?
-Those seed things are kind of hard to see in all the commotion! Give them a yellow outline or something!
-Small complaint, but shouldnā€™t the boss become harder after it loses a lot of health?

Itā€™s a short game and thereā€™s not much for me to talk about, so iā€™ll skip right to the scores:

Scores (Scale of 1/5)

Graphics - 4
Music - 3
Controls - 2.5 (I removed .5 because sometimes i hit my head off the projectiles trying to get through!)
Stability - 5

Final Score: 4/5.
A surprisingly good Cuphead substitute!

Recommendations:
I know youā€™re using free, but still: More levels and making the dash more useful would be nice!

@todorrobot
Now i know why itā€™s featured on the games page! Hereā€™s my notes:

+Damn, that theme song!
+Good graphics!
+Simple, yet effective controls!
+I love how the logo looks like a 1980s zombies movie poster!
+Even the how to play menu is good, giving you a taste of what the game is like!

-ā€¦Holy shit, i canā€™t think of anything! Good job!
-Wait, i got something: The same song is used EVERY WHERE in the game! Some diversity please?
-How come i can hear whatā€™s going on in the game from the main menu? Thatā€™s kinda annoying!

Iā€™d say this game is the standard for what a Flowlab game should be: Short, simple and stylish! At the end of the day, thatā€™s what Flowlab is good for! (No offense, grazer).

Scores (Scale of 1/5)

Graphics - 4.5
Music - 5
Controls - 4
Stability - 5

Final Score: 4.5/5.
One of Flowlab.ioā€™s finest!

Recommendations:
Fix the 2 negatives i managed to think of and youā€™d be the first and maybe last review to be flawless! ~Crigence

@Crigence WOW! Thanks! I really appreciate the kind words. I totally agree with your critique. I tried a few times to stop the sounds during ā€œmenuā€ mode, but got stumped. :confused:

Fun fact: If you destroy the boom boxes it turns the volume of the soundtrack down :slight_smile:

I consider this a BETA version and want to refine it and release a Zombie Beach Party Deluxe at some point with more things to destroy and more people running around.

How many zombies did you get at the end?

1 Like

Hereā€™s my platformer game. Nothing super unique, but I think it is a well functioning game. Please let me know of any bugs you find, thanks!
http://www.flowlab.io/game/play/1041947

Here is my Game!.. Again @Crigence . The updated one, flowlab.io/game/play/1034205 . Thanks for the help!

huh, Letā€™s see if I can fix these problems. I never experienced these bugs, but I have an idea why. Iā€™m going to do various more tests and try other platforms. I really thought this game almost done too, thanks for letting me know of these bugs!
I think it could be that im using allot of save files and I need to test the game on something else other than my computer where all the saves states are set to 0 automaticly.
It could also be cause I have a gaming computer set up with a good graphics card, ram, and cpu to handle complex games like mine.
Iā€™m going try my best to get these bugs fixed and Iā€™ll try to resend the game to you for another review!

Starblast 2 is one of the featured games. Shares the same shooting bug as 3 (ALL of the games suffer that shooting bug ever since the update before last) but a LOT more people played it. This one features local multiplayer, a lot of gamemodes, an alternative version aimed specifically at weaker computers, simpler graphics, and its been absolutely completed. Havent messed around with it at all. One thing that does bother me is that it becomes less functional as updates come along, so I may have to go back in there and fix a few things.

It also has a far simpler menu, features modes from the original Starblast (albeit with newer music and additional enemy types), the ability to play the modes ORIGINAL music (from the original game), a working shop with a working currency system- the first to true one on flowlab (as far as I know), a different scoring system (SB3s system gives you multiplier based on how long you last without losing a life), and the first game I spent about a year of development on.

Also, if this one is too hard on your computer, tell me and Ill pull the link on the lesser version
I hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:

Unless those friggin bugs get in the way.

The Graveyard? :tongue:

http://flowlab.io/game/play/721980