After Haevoc, are people with anime profile pics just looked down upon?

I was just wondering because he’s literally the only user I’ve seen with here with one and he got banned.

1 Like

No. I personally am fine if you use an anime profile picture (though a few users may beg to differ, for reasons beyond me). The reason why he was banned is completely unrelated.

4 Likes

I don’t like anime, but nobody I know judges a book by it’s cover. Many of us just don’t like anime. Like I’ve said before, I respect the person, not the idea.

6 Likes

can’t choose whose reply is the solution

3 Likes

Doesn’t matter. Mine is the more radical.

3 Likes

tactical nuke incoming!Screenshot_20210606-201825__01

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not specifically saying anyone would judge you, but I was more saying that some people would not like your profile picture choice.

3 Likes

I personally enjoy watching anime and I actually got a message from JR_01 before saying he does the same thing, plus on the flowlab discord most of the users including grazer have anime profile pictures so I’m alright with it.
I only said something once when you changed your pfp cause I was used to the Spartan since it fitted you better in my opinion, but I don’t mind if you change it, you do what ever you like doing and if someone doesn’t like it, then that’s their issue.

4 Likes

If nobody minds, I’ll just put my opinion out there.

To most people, anime as an artistic style is fine, but anime as a culture is a bit more difficult to explain.
To start, the definition of “anime” means “Japanese cartoons”, this, of course, is fine, but it is outdated, over the past few years anime has evolved and become its own culture.
I think this is where people give anime a bad rep.

I would go deeper into the subject but I want to keep things tied in with flowlab and your question.
While anime on flowlab is not going to give you a bad rep, anime culture does. Most people see most of the front page animes like Naruto, Farytail, re: zero, MHA, and Konosuba all contain some, “inappropriate” content, this gives bad first impressions, and since other animes also carry some of that content from the more popular shows most normal people would find it a bit disturbing or weird. Of course, there are absolute gems like the studio Ghibli Films, A silent voice, Dr. Stone, Erased, JoJo and etc. that people won’t be exposed to that.

This is where the problem comes in.
Since people have bad reps on anime they don’t want to watch it, for example, what if your first movie was Twilight or 50 shades of grey? That would put a bad rep on movies, same for anime. Popular animes get clouded by the “specific” content and people don’t see the things that can come out of it, of course, there are bad animes too, but the popular animes are not good at introducing people to anime itself.

TL;DR: Anime has a bad rep due to popular animes that aren’t good at introducing people to anime, which gives it a bad rep. But the art form itself is fine and can be expressed on flowlab without any repercussions.

If anybody has a problem with what I said I can retract anything I put here.

PS - yoooooooooooooooooooo, an anime fan.

8 Likes

I 100% agree with that statement.

4 Likes

There is a god :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I hate anime! I hate anime! I hate anime!

1 Like

Jokes aside they’re looked down upon regardless of prior experiences

1 Like

I would assume most people here don’t use anime profile pictures because the purpose is mainly for discussing and promoting game development rather than for hanging out like discord is. Generally, discussions here are slightly more formal than discord due to the format and topics of discussion

8 Likes

I wouldn’t call this formal with the amount of minors here

Formality is a manner of acting, and other than some specific people or topics, I would say most people here generally act decently and respectably. How are you going to successfully promote your games and yourself as a brand if you don’t act in such a way? You will be disliked and unrespected as a developer if you aren’t at least somewhat formal. If you would like to argue that Discord is any more formal, then I would say that’s an uphill battle

7 Likes

disrespected*
Also point proven :sunglasses:

I dont dislike anime, ve just never watched any (excluding pokemon I watched a few years back) So i suppose i dont rly have an opinion on the matter lol

4 Likes

Anime is like a line of animations created with Japanese culture.
That’s like watching an episode from Star Wars the clone wars and not liking it so you dislike all of Star Wars animations.

But then again I don’t think you ever care about anyone else’s opinion.

5 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes