Alpaca Reviewing Station

I guess one piece of feedback that would improve the reviews a bit (from my POV) would be to include the score received in the appropriate section instead of leaving them all at the end. For me personally it’s easier to follow along when reviews are formatted that way.

Everything else is already good enough. Detailed reviews that offer the most feedback are often the better ones.

5 Likes

oh btw I forgot to add the
pixil-frame-0 (8)

Final Score: 6.25

4 Likes

Could you review Ducky so far?

4 Likes

i may not be @CodeAlpaca , but that is really good in my opinion. how’d you do the shadow thing?

2 Likes

The ui shadow??

the lights and stuff lighting up shadows

also i found the secret : )

Which one???
Also I don’t wanna go off-topic so go to my topic instead ok (:

what topic

link

can you review my game please?

it’s not quite done and there is a bug where it skips the starting screen but i want to see what you think

3 Likes

There list of games that will be reviewed in order is

1. Taile Gamougg Emerald Warrior
  2. The Cow Snatchers From Outer Space
  3. Minions: The Rise of Gru Unofficial Flowlab Game
  4. Ducky
  5. Cube Fighterrr

Normally I would have 2 reviews finished at a time so I can keep a decently consistent upload time, but I did a private review so the review today willl be a little later (And Gamougg games are generally longer than normal games)

5 Likes

Taile Gammoug Emerald Warrior

Art

What I like about the Art.

1. This game does a much better job at using consistent pixels and matching colors, but it still has it’s faults.
  2. You added blood particles, which is good, but it’s not great. At times it blends into the background a lot and needs to be more red (If you don’t want red blood than it needs to be more of another color)
  3. The length of the screen actually works, on Fullscreen it looks quite cinematic

What I think could be better about the Art

1. Once again, drawing over the basic sprites isn’t great.
  2. Some of the objects don’t match the rest of the game (such as the trees)
  3. Have a better object take you to the next level, not a block with its abbreviations
  4. Blood splatter is very thick, it doesn’t need to take up the full 32x32 space.
  5. Still using alerts
  6. The character is quite small for the screen height. A good average for platformers is making the character 10-15% of the screen size.
  7. The background colors chosen aren’t great. Some are fine and others don’t fit. (btw it is better to have other things in the background, but if you don’t do that make sure you pick a good color)

Art Score 5

Fun

What I think is Fun about the game.

1. Controls are much better due to fewer being used.
  2. Combat feels better than other Gamougg games.

What I think could make the game more Fun (including bug fixes)

1. [BUG] Having controls for both WASD and arrows is good, but you are able to click W then Up and either get a double jump or a really high jump if clicked at the same time.
  2. [BUG] You are able to jump then spam T underneath you, essentially allowing you to fly.
  3. The game would actually benefit from not having Arrow Keys as an option. Typically you want to use WASD if the mouse is included in the game. Removinttg Arrow Keys also allow you to rearrange the Key setup without having to worry if it will work for Arrow Keys. (I would use O to attack and P to block, or if you want to be albe to do it with 1 hand T to attack and G to block is good)
  4. Still the problem of basically using the basic run & jump bundle. (It seems a lot of people do this so I’l make an example for better movement)
  5. Greatly consider making NPC non solid, and please make them only say a message once, or at least go on a cooldown before they’ll repeat the message.
  6. Don’t have levels just cut off.
  7. The sword slash so solid.
  8. Ending was a bit abrupt.

Fun Score: 5

Sound

The music is pretty decent. The sword sounds are ok.

Sound Score: 6

Creativity

While this is a fangame of the Gamougg series it’s cannon to the story so I’ll treat it as another game in the series. This game breaks away from the main game by incorporating swords instead of guns, and I do like swords much better (the previous games had swords, but the guns always felt much stronger).

Creativity Score: 5.5

Overall

Art: 5
Fun: 5
Sound: 6
Creativity: 5.5

Final Score: 5.375

@117JOJO, @John_Shrekinson is correct in saying the game is better than the main series (no offense John). The art style was much more consistent and controls were much better. Nice job.

pixil-frame-0 (10)

8 Likes

The Cow Snatchers from Outer Space

Reviewed by @CodeAlpaca

I really liked this game during the Flowjam, it’s incredibly well done for a free user.

Art

1. This may seem strange, but it’s actually a very important part when making a game. The name is very clever, it somehow sticks in your mind and manages to somehow flow from the tongue.
  2. The Art style is unique to you and fits well together
  3. Nice particle effects for the cows, cops, tracker beam, etc.
  4. The chicken on the farm in the back spinning is a really nice touch that everyone notices but no one mentions. It adds quite a bit of character to the game (Maybe the city lights should twinkle?)
  5. The lights on the UFO changing colors the more damage you have is nice
  6. The pause button being a drop-down menu is something that should be done in more flowlab games, it looks very clean.
  7. The Cow getting caught is really nice
  8. The score shaking is another nice touch
  9. Nice Thumbnail.

What aspects of the Art could be better?

1. The background (excluding the barn) feels slightly out of place
  2. The laser the UFO shoots is hard to see at times because it blends into the background.
  3. The bullets are the same sprite as the laser but recolored. That seems odd
  4. (This is a Flowjam thing and won’t count towards the final rating) The Theme “Out Of Space” doesn’t seem to be present here (there are slight bits like the cops take up space so you kinda get boxed in), but it gets the false theme “Outer Space”. So if anyone was confused about the theme this can still get high votes from those groups of people.
  5. When you turn the music off there needs to be some sort of visual to tell that it is off. You cannot know otherwise until you unpause because pausing the game freezes the music.

Art Score: 7.2

Fun

This game got the 2nd highest fun rating during the Flowjam, let’s see if it’s deserved. No pressure.

What I think is Fun about the game

1. The game feels very well-balanced, and the hordes of enemies that come at you feel very well timed.
  2. The different upgrades from abducting the cows are cool, but the Shield upgrade needs a visual cue. (maybe other other upgrades as well)
  3. Controls are very simple and easy to use.
  4. I want a higher score each time I play, it gets really tense when you’re so close to losing and you’re trying to get just that 1 more point before they hit you.

What could make the game more Fun (Including bug fixes)

1. [BUG] idk if you were editing the game so it’s like this, but after playing another round, the difficulty I died at stays, so the police spawn in at the beginning.
  2. Abduction cows should give you points. The game is literally called Cow Snatchers yet I often ignore the cows and just shoot as many cops as possible.
  3. (I’ll ignore this in the final score) Sadly you are a free user so you can’t do this, but this game would be great with a leaderboard. I would like to add my score of 145
  4. Killing the Military gives no points?

Fun Score: 7.8

Sound

The music is pretty good and the other sound fits well, but here are a few points.

1. The Laser from the UFO feels like it needs to be a little louder.
  2. The Cow and Cops exploding needs a more impactful sound
  3. The UFO getting hit needs a sound
  4. The UFO flying around could use a sound
  5. Maybe some cow sounds?

Sound Score: 6.8

Creativity

It’s a nice and creative game that was well executed.

Creativity Score: 8

Art: 7.2
Fun: 7.8
Sound: 6.8
Creativity: 8

Final Score: 7.45

pixil-frame-0 (9)

@Lyndon_Bork really nice job on this game, I enjoy playing it each time.

Fun Fact, Color Complex got a 3.18 during the Flowjam and Cow Snatchers got a 3.17. What’s the point of mentioning this? idk, bragging rights maybe? (Even though I like you game way more than my own game)

5 Likes

Hey thanks for the amazing review! I really appreciate hearing your perspective about my game.
About the lack of features, unfortunately as you said, I’m a free user and ran out of objects before I was able to finish the game, so some parts had to be cut. Cows were originally going to be used as a currency in an upgrades shop, but powerups were added as a asset-free substitute.
And the bugs are definitely an issue I need to work on. Thanks for pointing those out, I never noticed them in production
Backgrounds are my weakness :pensive:
And I actually read the theme wrong when I planned my game. I was decently far through making the game when I noticed it was “out of space” not “outer space”
Thanks again for the excellent review, I really appreciate hearing your feedback!

5 Likes

None taken :)

Even less will be taken after the massive revelation on April 1st, 2023. :)

6 Likes

youre gonna make an april fools joke?

4 Likes

The biggest reality

4 Likes

Minions: The Rise of Gru Unofficial Flowlab Game

Reviewed by @CodeAlpaca

The game feels like a meme, but I’ll review it like any other game. (Btw from now on I will be linking the game in the review)

Art

What I like about the art

1. Minions remind me of that one flash game with the 3 pandas.

What about the Art could be improved

1. Use original art, you got a png from the internet and imported it into the game basically.
  2. The level with Gru is very very plain. The Zodiac doesn’t match either.
  3. The Door animation should not close, just set it to stay on the last frame when done.
  4. Don’t use the basic object sprites
  5. The ground should extend all the way to the bottom of the screen, it looks weird otherwise.
  6. Art style feels like it has no style. There’s nothing unique about it that makes it really stand out.

Art Score: 1.5

Fun

What I think is fun about the game

What aspects of the game could be improved to make it more Fun

1. Jump is bad, it’s just spam click.
  2. Minions are hard to control, it would be better to alternate control like in the Flash game with the 3 pandas.
  3. You don’t do anything. Spam click to get the Zodiac and then the game is done.

Fun Score: 1

Sound

What could be improved in Sound Design

1. There are no sounds in the game besides music.
  2. Music works ok with the menu, but not with anything else.
  3. I haven’t watched the movie yet, but I’m going to guess the music is from the movie.

Sound Score: 2

Creativity

No original ideas are present in the game.

Creativity Score: 1

Overall

Art: 1.5
Fun: 1
Sound: 2
:Creativity: 1

Final Score: 1.375

pixil-frame-0 (12)

@117JOJO It took me like 3 minutes to play and I just don’t understand this. Not trying to be rude at all, but I honestly don’t know what else to say.

6 Likes

Due to this being so short I’ll probably review Ducky today

5 Likes