An actual serious question about making game music

For those of you who have experience making custom game music - which websites would you recommend?

I prefer free, if possible. I do have an old Casio keyboard, but I’m not entirely sure how to hook it up to my computer and record songs that way. I’m looking for a website where I can create and edit my own MP3 game music. I know there are many different options, just want to know which ones you guys like best. Again - emphasis on free.

4 Likes

I’m no expert, but it seems like people like to use:

which is fancy and

https://www.beepbox.co

which is simple

and

which I haven’t seen anyone on here use, but is probably a decent option if you want to download something to run locally

5 Likes

@TGW I personally recommend some apps on the Google play store you can download on your phone to make music like Groovepad, Music Maker Jam (or its desktop counterpart Magix Music Maker) as well as bandlab like grazer said and the popular FL or Fruitloops music maker (Paid subscription needed)

That’s just some choices.

2 Likes

I have used and highly recommended Bandlab.com to all of my friends and fellow designers. Take a listen!
Playlist of my music, made on bandlab

2 Likes

Beepbox doesn’t sound very good when it’s used in its basic forms, but if you take some time to get to know the system, you can get some products to be proud of.
I don’t know about other people’s opinions on it, but I personally like what I’ve got with the Main Theme of my new game coming out, and it was made with Beepbox.

Really cool platform if you spend some time with it :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nice - I had no idea that theme was in beepbox :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you need random inspiration, I quite like this one:

3 Likes

or if u have a newish apple ipad or phone, garage band is a good one

3 Likes

@beanies_bugs I’ve had Garage Band recommended to my by incredibly popular musicians lol, I totally forgot about it! (Since I don’t have IOS.) Yes, that’s one of the best ones.

3 Likes

:musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note: :musical_note:

2 Likes

I was actually planning to make the music on my desktop computer (Windows).

I have an actual Casio keyboard, and I’m… okay-ish at playing it, but I don’t really have any way to record music on it and transfer it to my computer. Aside from something lame like setting my phone next to it and recording the audio, then uploading it on Google Drive, which would almost certainly sound awful (background noise of the TV in the living room, my chair squeaking, me clearing my throat, one of my idiot neighbors accidentally setting off their own car alarm, etc.). Ideally I’m looking for something like a “virtual piano” that can also do different sounds other than piano (like violin, guitar, banjo, etc.), and can have overlapping background sounds (rhythm and drums, stuff like that), and able to be fully edited (sped up, slowed down, cut, copy, pasted, looped, etc.).

1 Like

bandlab can do that cant it :>

1 Like

here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That one seems to have the most recommendations, so I will give it a try. Thank you!

1 Like

Dare I ask if you have MIDI connections? Or a toolbox of old wires you can strap together to output the Casio into the computer through RCAs to mini? Or other options?

1 Like

There are also some cheap(ish) piano key input hardware you can play into Garage Band and Bandlab. I’ve had success with Garage Band, but I mostly use Beepbox (or the much more advanced jummbox) to do my music bc I love those retro beeps and boops.

2 Likes

I probably do somewhere, but it would be a lot of trouble to find them. And anyway, as I said, I’m only “okay-ish” at playing the keyboard. I’m not good enough to play “live” without occasionally pressing the wrong key or getting the timing wrong. I kind of need the ability to “studio edit” my mistakes. :smile:

If I was a good musician, I’d probably be doing that for a living. But I’m just a “decent” musician.

2 Likes

I’m in a similar boat with musical ability to play a real track “live”. But Garage Band is very forgiving. Ability to quantize notes or edit individually per track and re-record over mistakes. Bandlab probably does too.

2 Likes

I have the same problem with basically every field. You might have heard the phrase, “jack of all trades, master of none”? That’s me in a nutshell.

I’m able to grasp basic math, but not enough to be an engineer or rocket scientist.
I’m a decent writer, but not good enough to be an author.
I can sort of draw, but not good enough to be an artist.
I have an “ear” for music and I’m able to “sort of” play a few instruments, but not good enough to be a musician.
I can sing on key, but I don’t have the greatest voice.
I know how to fix basic things on my car, but I still need a mechanic for the more advanced stuff.

etc.

5 Likes

Same here-

2 Likes