An Annual Free User Flowjam!

Damn #shotsfired by grazer

1 Like

A lot of my games can usually qualify under the free user restrictions, I can use a free account in the next contest.

4 Likes

damn, grazer has roasted us lol

6 Likes

Sorry, I’m honestly not trying to be mean :slight_smile:

It’s not your fault that I have had this conversation so many times - I shouldn’t let it get me frustrated. Just rest assured that the Flowjam is not pay to win. I try to keep it as fair as I possibly can.

6 Likes

Free users aren’t under limitations if they’re good at flowlab, it just takes longer to do some things sometimes, but it’s by no means impossible for a free user to win.

2 Likes

Its just that you can kinda be outshined as a free user, Thats about it tho

3 Likes

How are you outshined? If you are, the other person deserves to win, free flowlab doesn’t restrict anything from you besides multiplayer and the 50 block limit which has many ways to get around. For example, One Shot Demo is a super simple game and would be easy to create in flowlab (it was made in 4 days for flowjam). If someone could actually create a game like Thrall in 14 days for flowjam they just deserve to win. The main reason paid users win is probably just from numbers, If someone is going to enter a contest it is going to be someone serious about winning, like a paid user. Someone new to flowlab won’t be as good and it has nothing to do with use the free version. There are very good people who use the free version of flowlab (I would like to think I’m included in this list), but they might be at the 3 game limit and not bother to create another account to enter. It’s just more likely that someone who pays will enter and is actually good at flowlab.

Well, since indie users have more objects and more levels they can easily make a much larger project than a free edition can ever dream so I can see how this would work, but I have seen many free edition games better than indie games before.

3 Likes

As I mentioned there are several ways to get around the object limit. As for the levels, there are ways to get around it as well by spawning the player on different maps and turning off the features of the maps not currently being used to reduce lag. The only thing truly out of reach with no way around is multiplayer (unless one player is WASD and the other is “Arrow Keys”)

1 Like

But you can’t access multiplayer with free version :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I said you can’t have multiplayer, but you can still make a game that two people next to each other can play

2 Likes

Honestly multiplayer sucks at the moment, but I know that’s not grazer’s fault :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One thing to keep in mind is that for a game jam like Flowjam, the biggest problem people run into is trying to make their game too large to complete successfully in the time frame. Having fewer objects and levels available is probably an advantage in that regard.

6 Likes

Ya know, That is true… you kinda already have a small starting point

1 Like

What? I’m honestly sorry you felt that way. I never meant to exclude you as grazer explained.
One interesting thing is that we (community) could make a video for Flowjam (not for the homepage, so we can show all the games, even if they have blood) showcasing the entries games and/or us playing them.
Would that be cool?

Maybe we could even invite some devs to talk about their games (also giving them a platform), would be nice to listen about the process or the vision they had. Or maybe I’m getting too ambitious, but what do you guys think?

10 Likes

It’s not about the resources, @Lordkhalton, it’s about the idea behind them. I should know, because I had creativity block and come up with unoriginal games for both my jams.

If you don’t have the skill (which is directly related to time spent), you won’t succeed. I know nothing of your skill level, but I know that if you have a simple idea done well, it will always beat a complex idea done poorly.
Think on that, prepare accordingly, and most of all, make smart decisions.

3 Likes

Sounds fun, hope it gets delayed until my next game gets out lol, it’s going to be a big hit. (unless super ballers gets included somehow)

2 Likes

This sounds like a fantastic idea!

2 Likes

Those ideas sound really interesting

1 Like

I guess your right, With these things when it comes to making all games in my case. Flowlab, unity, Unreal engine, and all i dont put as much time as i should it the projects which then become lost dreams, but its always nice to not only be the developer but aswell let off steam and be a player. which i tend to do after getting into coding struggles.

1 Like