Billy The Kid - Announcement and Updates

one hour of tgw typing later…

2 Likes

My “Lost in Spaaaaace” game had most of that, but… unfortunately it was too unclear what the player was supposed to do. And if I gave it away entirely, anyone could “beat” it in less than 5 minutes…

Not that I’m saying that should be a “featured” game at all, it’s far shorter than what I want my ultimate projects to look like.

Honestly I don’t even know why I care whether one of my games is “featured” or not… I guess it’s mostly a matter of me wanting to be taken somewhat seriously as a potential “semi professional” game developer some day.

I’ll keep on trying to get better in the meantime, it’s just frustrating every time I start working on a particular theme and then suddenly it’s like 5 other people all had the same idea, and they’re all more experienced than me… automatically I know my game is going to the bottom of the pile.

@meburningslime sorry 'bout that. I can type fast, I was just trying to figure out the right way to word my comment. I’m probably coming across as whiny or something, and I don’t mean it to sound that way.

3 Likes

Lol, no problem. We have a meme around here of people typing up essays lol, it’s not bad, it’s funny

2 Likes

I am actually legit, a “professional” essay writer. As in, I have earned real money for writing essays. :laughing:

3 Likes

Well I think @MetaNinja should get into business with you… :wink:

2 Likes

When I say I earned money, I didn’t say it was enough money to live off of. :slightly_smiling_face: Not even close. I still had to keep my “day job”.

1 Like

Two is better than one lol

1 Like

an introduction to every flowlab conversation
Step one. Ask a question
Step two. Get a slightly related but still coding related answer
Step three. Go into a monolithic set of dialogues with random people on the internet about things such as essays and pizza rolls.

3 Likes

Mmmm… pizza rolls.

In all seriousness though. That is actually how most forums seem to work, in my experience at least.

This is an awesome game, I love how the bank teller tried to talk me out of robbing the bank (and I felt bad about shooting him, but I got bills to pay)

And my western game will not be the same as this one. The only similarities will be that it will take place in the wild west, the character will have guns, the town will have a saloon and a bank, and you can (if you choose to) attempt to rob the bank.

4 Likes

I don’t know if this is a bug or something else but this text stacked over each other for some reason.

2 Likes

I don’t believe that the issue you’re having is because of the game. I’m not getting the issue myself so you might just have to replay the game.

4 Likes

It only happened once so I think it just spawned text twice because of my computer :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

That’s not very Cash Money of you, @meburningslime - There is literally a ManiacPumpkin game on the first page of featured games right now :slight_smile:

There is a big overlap between people who spend a lot of time working on their Flowlab games, and people who want the upgraded features - so I don’t find it at all surprising that subscribers tend to produce polished games?

8 Likes
old comment, no longer my stance

I agree, but I also would like to say that in the video of the flowjam, the only free user happens to be the one missing from the video. And yes many that pay more do well, but some others are amazing without getting premium.

1 Like
old comment, no longer my stance.

I don’t mean to argue with the big man who’ll probably ban me tomorrow, but just wanted to stand up for my friend who felt a little left out, solely because of money. Sorry if I got too aggressive. I do not see flowlab as a pay to win at all.

1 Like

You are right. I have just heard and noticed that the flowlab video for the last flowjam excluded the only free edition game, which I now realize you had nothing to do with. It hurt ManiacPumpkin’s feelings so I overreacted. I am sorry for attacking you, and I was wrong in the first place for being rude. And to the person that made the video, I’m not upset, I was overreacting and over emotional. It’s not even that big of a deal, I was out of line. I am truly sorry, I’m trying to own my mistakes maturely.

And to @Greggo, sorry for being off topic.

I’d also like to say

I’m sorry lol, I’m not interacting well with you for the past month or so and I think it’s just odd timing. I truly do respect you greatly and you are one of my three idols I want to be like when I’m older.

5 Likes

This game is great, awesome color palette… I had trouble hearing the dialogue though, not sure if it was just me. Overall, the complete feel of the game is top notch.

4 Likes

Thanks @Bmarzi! I want to add subtitles for people who may have trouble hearing (or can’t use volume because they’re in math class) but that’s a whole mess to tackle that I’m not ready for quite yet.

I’m glad you like the art and aesthetic of the project though :smiley:

4 Likes

Flowlab is definitely not pay to win. :laughing:

I apparently just need to “up my game” and make something complete and polished that doesn’t use default blocks or sprites, and is also understandable. My last “completed” project was unique and original, with a starting screen and ending screen etc., but nobody could figure out what they were supposed to do… which was kind of the point of the game, figuring out what you’re supposed to do… but… I should have made that more clear. Without making it obviously clear. Something I certainly have to git guder at making more vaguely clear in the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

I bought Indie so that I could make games as big as my imagination. I shouldn’t have ever expected to be considered an “awesome top game designer” in my first couple of months here, when others have spent years working on their projects. In my case, I need to humble myself, and remember that I am a newbie. I don’t have name recognition, I don’t have vast experience, I don’t have amazing artistic talents or anything like that. Would I like to make a featured game some day? Of course!!! But that’s something I’ll have to earn through probably a lot of trial and error.

Also apologies again to @Greggo for hijacking your thread, it’s a really cool game and I hope that I’m able to make something equally worthy of recognition some day. :smile:

5 Likes

Hey, gang!

Billy The Kid has officially gotten over 1,000 plays! That’s so cool! Thank you to everyone who has played and supported the game. It was a weird one to plan out. In fact, I have this to show you:

This is the flowchart I made to visualize the progression and alternate branches in the game. I thought this would be cool to show as a little thanks. For such a small game the flowchart seems so big. :joy:

6 Likes