Bmarzi's Knockout Reviews

Wizzo by @Galactian

From the start this game is fantastic. While it was hard to move around with my backwards brain, I was able to make it a few levels in, and the movement felt great, that being said… please add arrow keys along with WASD for movement.

The main menu is nice and calming with the music and bright colors, which is quite contradictory to the intensity of the blood-soaked gameplay… I love it! From what I can tell you’ve only used 2 different fonts, which is okay as they both seem to serve separate purposes. I liked the different upgrade backgrounds, and the ability to upgrade the cards and skills really keeps the player wanting to keep going to get the next thing.

I would suggest adding a main menu button that brings up the instructions again, so players can go back and re-read if need be. Also, add low volumed music to the game itself, it’s a bit quiet at times.

Theme: The title suggests a wizard game and a wizard game is what you get. Playing a wizard who cast spells and uses magic on genre-appropriate bad guys… pretty much hit the Fantasy genre on the noise. 5/5 stars
Fun: This game is similar to other games where you’re killing enemies as they keep spawning, but it adds different tasks to accomplish in each level and the ability to upgrade your cards and skills. 4/5 stars
Art/Sound: All the artwork is the same style and pixel size, which is a necessity for making a great looking game like this one. Add some music to the game itself. 4/5 stars
Creativity: The game is similar to a lot of Flowlab games, but it does add some interesting elements. 3/5 stars
Overall: This game is really great, it’s fun and there’s a lot of blood. It just needs some in game music. 4/5 stars

Next game is TBD

2 Likes

Thank you for the review.

if you play level 1 it will go through the tutorial again, since level 1 also always gives 3 stars there is no reason to return to it unless you want a tutorial repeat

3 Likes

rate my game

1 Like

Excuse me, but do you do reviews in DMs? I have made this game with some dev team assistance but I do not want to release it to the public just yet. Thanks

1 Like

Sure send it to me and I’ll respond.

4 Likes

Difficult Bouncy Slime Parkour by @rockyboiyay

Another game with a lot of promise, the first thing to stand out is the animation, you need to find your style and get away from the standard blocks. The slime animation is nice but needs some shadows or light to make it look less flat. Also add a spinning move animation and an idle animation (perhaps with something floating inside the slime), and make the slime green and translucent so you can see the background in it. You can also give the player options of changing the color, options are fun because it allows for some customization, which is my favorite part of any game.

You need a main menu, this will help make the game feel more polished and professional. The music doesn’t seem to fit the intensity of the game, try to find something more fast-paced, and add other sounds like the slime moving and jumping or the lava bubbling.

As for the gameplay, it’s a start, however the wall climbing in level 2 was almost impossible as it’s too hard to jump up at and out at the same time… check out @Samuel_Tomé_PixelPizza’s tutorial Wall Jump & Slide Example because it’s amazing. Some of the jumps are too far, make sure you play test it constantly to make sure it’s possible to beat, it should be difficult as the title suggests but not so hard that the player gives up. You want to make games that people want to play and come back to play again. Lastly, develop your own warnings and get away from using the built in ones.

Theme The title says exactly what the game is, however that isn’t enough for a theme. You need to figure out a what and why the slime is what it is, and how does it connect to where it is. (i.e. location, background, etc.) 1/5 stars
Fun: This game has the potential to be a lot of fun, it’s difficult so when you die you want to keep trying, but if it’s too hard the player will eventually quit, and some of the jumps are too far. 2/5 stars
Art/Sound: Find your own art style and develop the animations. Get away from the standard blocks. 1/5 stars
Creativity: This game is simple and too similar to other games, figure out something to add that will make your game stand out from the rest. 1/5 stars
Overall: This is a great start, you just need to get away from the standard blocks and messages and find your own style, then add something interesting to the game that makes it different. 1.25 stars

Next game is a suprise by @117JOJO

3 Likes

Can you please review this game I made for Booster Jam 2?

I played the new game by @117JOJO aka @John_Shrekinson, and I can honestly say it is the best game he’s made so far. It still needs a lot of work, but him and the team helping seem to know what is missing. I did offer a few additional ideas, so hopefully they can make this game fun.

Next game I’ll be reviewing is Virus Apocalypse by @Ember.Y aka @JUSTPLAINOP… why does everyone keep changing their usernames? It’s confusing for an old man like me so KNOCK IT OFF!!!

3 Likes

I didn’t have enough game space on my main account, so I used an ALT, sorry.

I get it, I just don’t like change.

1 Like

can you review my unpolished game Slugs against humaniy Flowlab Game Creator - Slugs against Humanity

1 Like

Oh geez. Game reviewers get no break. Most of the topics for game reviews have already shut down. Bmarzi, prepare to have no rest.

Idk if it’s my place to say this, but my game’s score overall is 2 stars. The game is Taile Gamougg 2 [remake], and the homies and I will improve it asap.

Random jumpscare

1 Like

Not to worry, I really enjoy doing it, I’m judgey and have a lot to say. Plus I’ve seen a lot of aggressive reviews that don’t really offer any constructive criticism.

After Virus Apocalypse I’ll review Slugs Against Humanity by @CarbonSoda

1 Like

ok first of all i have tested the game and my friens have too so uhm skill issue i guess all of it is possible and its not too hard one of my friedns that just tried it beat first level in less then 10 minites i dont know what you mean by own warnings tho and im focusing more on the gameplay then graphics because many games i see focus too much of them and the gameplay is just unoriginal and also wall jump does work you have to get used to the harder way to do it, it may be a simple game but unless you find an example simmilar to my game i dont belive it

1 Like

I was gonna send this for review anyways, here’s my take on a hard platformer.

Okay ignoring that, please review this Bmarzi:

don’t send new games in here, as a reviewer myself it’s a pain to have to review games that aren’t finished yet, plus we’ll usually never want to review it again once it’s finished

instead make a new topic asking people for some smaller feedback which takes less time

it can take up to 30 minutes to write a good review so make sure you aren’t wasting the reviewer’s time

2 Likes

Virus Apocalypse by @Ember.Y aka @JUSTPLAINOP

I really liked the backstory, everyone should go and check it out, it’s completely unnecessary and could have been simplified to two sentences but I really enjoyed that you decided to take the time to give us every little detail. Great Job!

The sprite stacking is amazing, you should go back and do the same for the walls and enemies, I’m sure you only had so much time so you choose to focus on the player, which I would have done too. I will say that the character should always be facing the direction he’s moving in, not where he’s aiming… it just looks a little off, not a big deal. The music was a good fit, but you should add other sounds. (i.e. player treads moving, robot vacuums, explosions, etc.) Lastly, you should add different bad guys with different attacks… the game got a bit slow.

Theme: This is very clearly a sci-fi game. 5/5 stars
Fun: While the game is easy to play, it got a little slow at times, so adding different bad guys will help keep the game flowing. 3/5 stars
Art/Sound I liked the sprite stacking and hope you continue that to the rest of the game. The music was a good choice, but need more ambient noises. 3/5 stars
Creativity: This game is similar to a lot of others, but the sprite stacking is really nice. Find a way to make this game different than just moving around killing enemies. 3/5 stars
Overall: I said it once and I’ll say it again, I enjoyed the sprite stacking. The game needs more variety of sounds and different enemies to make the game less stale. 3.5 stars

Next game will be Slugs Against Humanity

3 Likes