Buglist Sep'17

Oh ok. I read that but didn’t really know what it meant.

Bug- in Starblast 3- emitted lightnings hitbox seems to be way off to the right, instead of just being where the sprite is. This is an important one.

The way Lightning works is, being that emitters will send it off to the side- which is done on purpose- (collision reasons, I’m sure) is immediately given its coordinates by the spawning object. It then makes it to where the bottom of the object is then “covering” the spawning object.

@jngthree I posted a screenshot earlier in the thread that demonstrates that emitting to the right doesn’t work correctly. For me, it emitted farther right and slightly down. I’m not sure if it’s the same for you, but emit has been bugged out for years. Making exhaust trails for space games has always been a major burden, because they are always emitting diagonally or too far. I believe grazer is looking into this after he gets back home.

My own stupidity hit me again

Turns out the object shape was a circle, according to debug mode. So there was a supersized circle that mowed down the player when the boss spawned. So now that’s fixed

Thanks again for the awesome bug tester - this makes the job of bug fixing way easier! I just deployed an update that fixes messages to attachments, as well as some general message optimizations.

@grazer now normal messages won’t work. And they only work with attachments

Wait, what? They are all working in the bug tester, and in the tests I ran - do you have an example of messages not arriving that I can look at?

@grazer Starblast 3, the ship sends its coordinates to the parent enemy object, which makes all the enemies receive it. The enemies that relies on the players position to behave don’t work

Hey @jngthree - I looked at the “E,parent” object in SB3 and I only see a “Death” mailbox. I don’t see any coordinate messages. Which objects should I be looking at?

I’m glad that the bug tester helps you out. Sorry if the wiring is a bit messy, but if all the objects turn blue from proximity and green from sending a message, then it should work on all games. I’ve tried looking through Starblast 3, and I believe the wiring was too tangled for me to be able to locate the problems jngthree had. In the future, I’ll start organizing behavior types into bundle boxes that message each other, instead of using wires.

The parent object itself doesn’t have the mailboxes- but all of the enemies that chase do

In the player object:
IMG_1359
In “E seeker,” a child object of E ,parent
IMG_1360

@grazer

Hey @jngthree - I just deployed a fix for the case I missed where the some parent/child cases were not being sent correctly. That should fix up your issue, thanks for reporting it. Let me know if you see any other messaging issues.

@grazer found another, but not sure how to reproduce it.

All the enemies target where the player was a few seconds ago, so my guess is there’s some sort of a delay during messaging.

Click “change gamemode” on the main menu. It doesn’t work as fast, if at all. Notice how the enemies target empty space instead of you (unless you sit there, they’ll eventually target where you’re at)

So there’s a delay in how they move towards the object’s location, and it’s related to messages and not proximity, correct? It might be some sort of new lag, but if I have the spare time I want to make a ping detector sort of thing.

It works like this, you will get a number on the screen that is based off the number input per second that will show up on screen, which is based off vortex how on the menu should only spawn 1 ship that moves right, but because the game lags, eventually more and more ships starts emitting on screen even though the timer emits the assumed correct time. Using this number that changes from green to red, it should help you know how serious your lag is.

I also might make calculator test to make sure the math and numbers always work.

Yeah, its messages.

I noticed some are targeting the player correctly while others are having a delay.
, @grazer

@grazer another thing, all the recently exported android apps are crashing

Hey @jngthree - I found another parent / child messaging issue that was causing the problem with the SB3 game mode select. The issue with the seeker delay was a bit trickier. That was caused by the message queues getting too long while the dead seeker objects were getting recycled. I’m surprised that this wasn’t happening with the old messages as well, to be honest.

The latest build I just deployed has a fix for both issues, let me know if you see any more.

Anyway, thanks for helping me sort these issues out. I know it’s been a bit of a hassle, but the new messages are way faster, so they will hopefully be a lot more useful in more situations now that we don’t have to worry about their performance so much.

Hey @grazer, did you figure out what the bottleneck lag issue was for games with over 25 active objects?