Flowjam 2021 Official Announcement! šŸ“¢

Or possibly have some smaller, less rewarding jams?

The rarity for these jams is probably due to the big prizes with the consoles (Iā€™m assuming)

Thereā€™s always next time too if anyone canā€™t participate, thereā€™s no needing to break an arm and a leg to make a game that you donā€™t have the time for.

Luckily Flowjam is twice a year instead of yearly like other game jams. I missed a few last year that I plan to do this year, such as GMTK, Kennyā€™s Jam, Global Jam, and a few others.

There are also a ton of smaller oneā€™s on itch.io that Todorrobot been doing.

1 Like

I understand your frustration @ShadowGaming - but that kind of goes against the spirit of a game jam. The idea is that everyone is working together at the same time on a game with the same theme. Also, the provided theme is supposed to inspire you to create something that you wouldnā€™t otherwise probably make.

6 Likes

Itā€™s definitely possible - in fact Flowjam was started here by the community, not by me. I just added the official ones so that Flowlab could provide some prizes. You could even start and run one if you wanted - there doesnā€™t even need to be a physical prize, many jams donā€™t give them out.

There are few reasons why I donā€™t run the official Flowjam more often though:

• It takes a significant amount of time that prevents me from working on the site
  • I generally refrain from making updates during the jam
  • Running it too often would probably mean less interest in each individual one
  • It does cost a decent amount of money, so thatā€™s a factor too
10 Likes

@grazer at first I thought a way to eliminate this is to try to do this in the holidays in between school, like maybe the half term or something, but then thatā€™s complicated in its own way becuase people have different schools with different times off.

Itā€™s fine though, becuase at least we still have it.

1 Like

Iā€™m always open to suggestions @The_Kodex. I had planned to start it earlier so it began before Jan 01, but I couldnā€™t get the last release out in time to make that happen.

5 Likes

Sure hoping the Jam has the theme Iā€™m thinking of (or one of them at least). Thatā€™ll give me motivation to stop being lazy and finally make a JRPG or some sort

4 Likes

When talking with Grazer in private; he mentioned that he was especially looking forward to this yearā€™s Flowjam. Iā€™m expecting something quite interesting as well haha

4 Likes

Great cant wait, heh ive got plenty of ideas

If the theme is ā€œdistanceā€, I have an idea who will sure make me win!

i expect it would be close to impossible to guess the theme right, as you canā€™t see what other people are thinking, or at least i canā€™t.

1 Like

Idk, but if itā€™s that, got a serious chance

If the theme was distance then I would probably remake my old game called desert dash. Although most of who probably never heard of it since it wasnā€™t that popular, but it was a pretty good concept.

If the theme was distance I would make a Tough-as-nails platformer (like distance from the spikes!)

1 Like

I know i can win!!!

3 Likes

Me neither, but you wonā€™t have a chance if your down about it. Just start by coming up with some interesting ideas and Iā€™m sure you could come up with a winner.

2 Likes

Theme Suggestions: Arcade Games, Behind enemy lines, Intentionally broken, How everyone votes for the only theme you donā€™t have an idea for, Risk vs Reward, Labyrinth, Player is the god, Murder Mystery, Find the Easter Eggs (Not Literal Easter Eggs), Roguelike, No Premade Sprites. Idk thatā€™s all I have for now if anyone has suggestions notify me and ill add them to this weekā€™s news article.

1 Like

why is it going to be so late

I got a feeling indie devs to have an advantage

1 Like