Galactian's Game Station 2 (Reviewing topic)

Gameplay
General Gameplay: 7/15 The level design is relatively good, some arrows to point direction and less spring jumps would be nice. Simple platformer jumps are a lot more important to platformers than you’d think. The first boss is really repetitive and easy. The main issue with the gameplay is the movement system. It’s extremely difficult to control, you can barely control yourself when in the air. Please at least try to use this movement instead Flowlab Game Creator - Spin test (or just make one yourself, just put this here to show an idea of what I was thinking would work well), it will make it a lot more fun to play. It has strength based jumps, better friction, easy midair control, and wall jumps and slides. You can get rid of sliding and wall jumping if you want.
Controls 2/3 Basic, simple platformer controls. But I usually take 1 point off here if movement isn’t good.
Replay-able: 1/2 With a better movement system I can even see having some fun speedrunning this game.
Unique: 1/5 Nothing really stands out in the gameplay. Just a basic platformer with a spring pick-up mechanic.
Overall: 11/25

Sounds
Overall Fit: 5/5 Good. Like the death effect a lot.
Well-used: 5/5 Not much to say here.
Overall: 10/10

Graphics
Style: 5/5 Love the simple style. It’s done well. It’s not much but I think the clouds should have a darker outline.
Fits game: 5/5 The style feels like it fits the cutesy platformer game it is.
Overall Look: 13/15 Sprites all follow a well designed style. Colours look good, and the art does too.
Effects: 3/5 Effects such as wavy decals and a nice death effect add a lot of feel to the game. I feel like some particles on movement and when you hit an enemy would be nice.
Overall: 26/30

Creativity
Uniqueness: 4/10 The art is the main thing that makes this game stand-out from other platformers. The other mechanics are commonly used in platformers.
Fits: 6/8 Not too much creativity present, but it fits quite well. The spring mechanic is really overused for how it can sometimes be buggy and hard to control with the movement.
Enjoyable and Fun: 3/7 As I said, the overused spring jumps can be unfun. A lot of those jumps could be replaced by a basic platformer jump.
Overall: 13/25

Difficulty & Balance
Feels balanced: 4/8 Difficulty progression isn’t very linear, but follows a consistent upward path.
No Bugs: 1/2 When you spam jump the sound keeps playing, and springs can be a bit inconsistent.
Overall: 5/10

Personal Rating: 5/10
Art is great, but the rest of the game feels like a generic platformer. An unique movement system along with more ideas would greatly benefit this game.
Overall Rating: 6.5/10
Art really saved this game from a lower rating. Amazingly done art. As I said before, more unique mechanics are really needed. I feel like the game sort of wants to have puzzle-like mechanics, but doesn’t pull it together to make a full puzzle type game. Overall, the game would surpass a 7/10 rating with just a new smooth movement system.

2 Likes

Hey, @Galactian

Could you please rate my game. (I’m currently working on it.)
Here is the link:
Adventures on Vironia

WARNING This game may take a very long time to complete.

Oh and also: Read the description or else… You’re dead.

-Ember

1 Like

I got near the “dont” section, and I find your game basic.
I mean, its fun if it wasnt so repetitive, but some things make no sense, like, why jumpads when E is just perma fly, art style is inconsistent, the only good art is the ones from the flowlab place, but the C animation is sweet. I think what this needs is better art and less janky controls, like when in tight corridors its very annoying to get by, those stones on the ground also bug me.

3 Likes

Response:
For the Jump Pads: I guess I could delete them. I originally made them before I made the Upwards Dash.

For the Tight Corridors: Yeah, I recently made the player character bigger, so I have to edit the tight corridors now. Thanks for mentioning that:)

For the Stones: I made them so the bad dwarves could flip off of them. I haven’t learned a solution for those yet.

@Hong_Jooni_Pooni What do you mean by repetitive?

-Ember. Y

1 Like

For the stones, just enable collisions but turn off solidity, and when they hit them, flip. You could also make them transparent with this, for the repetitively, you just follow the road and defeat enemies, there’s nothing special about this

2 Likes

Ohh, I can’t believe I haven’t thought of that!

(Oh, and by the way, I’m planning a crazy 3rd level. You just have to finish another boring 2nd level, LOL)

-Ember. Y

1 Like

Hey @Galactian do you mind reviewing this game? You completely skipped it somehow

i do not know if this is allowed but maybe could you rate my logo for Dome X

2 Likes

It’s nice, reminds of how Sup3r does his logos.

1 Like

You didn’t even try it bro

i based it off of his universal crumble logo lol

1 Like

It feels very nice and polished, good job

2 Likes

thanks, i usually suck at art so its good for me :sweat_smile:

stealing john_shrekinson's phrase

Thanks choom!

2 Likes

hehe rate my not troll game (:crossed_fingers:)

2 Likes

yes, i tried it a bit, it’s not polished very well yet and based on what you said very unfinished

2 Likes

More context please?

1 Like

the village level is just some people walking left or right, and that’s all the game seems to be so far

also the game has multiple styles and mixels which makes me think it’s using placeholder art

3 Likes

1: Try to learn to play for longer
2: Wdym diffrent styles
3: Wth are mixels
4: Every single time i try to make a interaction with you something goes wrong
5: I think you hate me

1 Like

Using different pixel sizes in close vicinity, it usually looks weird

3 Likes

Are you saying it looks fine in my game :face_with_monocle:

1 Like