Galactian's Game Station 2 (Reviewing topic)

I don’t think Galactian hates you. You asked for an honest review and he gave you his opinion.
(And like nhgcr said, mixels are different sized pixels that don’t match. By style I’m assuming he means mixels, color palette, or objects within the game) I haven’t played the game (on mobile) so idk.

5 Likes

As in 99% of the time it looks bad

5 Likes

He usually gives harsh, but true criticism on your game. It may seem like he’s against you, but he just wants you to see the game how the player would see it and help you grow as a developer. I only wish there were more people like him.

5 Likes

I try to be nicer as to not discourage people, but I will say it’s a highly effective method if they stick with it and actually listen to what advice was given.

5 Likes

Hey, @Beheaded_man

Please, if you sign up for a review from a pro like @Galactian, @ManiacPumpkin, or @CodeAlpaca then you should always expect a harsh (But honest) review. You have to admit, they know more than we do. That doesn’t mean we are stupid it means they are very very experienced.

These pros do not hate you, but they try to help the other Flowlab users. Please do not be offended.

-Ember. Y

3 Likes

mean word nice people
nice word mean people

4 Likes

Is this a dead topic? If not, can you review this?

4 Likes

hey sorry for the wait but i’ll find some time tomorrow and review this

2 Likes

I appreciate it thanks :+1:

After you review Hong’s can you review what I have currently in this game?Flowlab Game Creator - Bloom (Bee Haven!)

are you sure you want to get it reviewed before you nearly finish it? i spend 20-40 minutes on reviews and because of that only review games once unless i really want to review it again

Well I’m trying to get an idea if the game is fun or not and how good the art is. It doesn’t have to be a full in depth review.

1 Like

Flowlab Game Creator - FOXER @CodeAlpaca @Hong_Jooni_Pooni
Gameplay
General Gameplay: 10/15 I love the daily challenge, seems well made with good level design, just wish it was obvious if it was unfinished or when you beat it. However the infinite game design has one main issue: it’s really repetitive, just spawning the same few presets. The way to fix this is to use presets that use random numbers to place stuff too. Then it’s got a lot more variation and feels less repetitive. Still, this would require more presets. I think you should add a way to stop jumping to charge up a jump (click to charge). Also, avoiding enemies can be often annoying and really kind of boring. Sometimes parts of the level will appear on their own, but the player doesn’t know where the invisible platforms will appear, so instead, make the platforms slightly visible before they phase in.
Controls 2/3 I feel like the gimmick of not being able to control jumps works, it’s just a bit too gimmicky. Maybe a way to stop your jumping to charge up a stronger jump could add some extra control to it.
Replay-able: 1/2 If daily challenges are consistently as good as the current one, replay-ability exists, but only once a day, since infinite gets boring quickly because of how repetitive it is.
Unique: 3/5 Jump mechanic is unique. Rest is a bit unique but mainly just normal infinite platformer stuff.
Overall: 16/25

Sounds
Overall Fit: 0/5 No sounds yet, I’ll add a rating next to the final one which is adjusted to remove the points lost from sounds.
Well-used: 0/5 Not much to say here.
Overall: 0/10

Graphics
Style: 4/5 As always, I love the simple style. Some things don’t mix together perfectly, like the orange and gray bricks.
Fits game: 5/5 The style fits the game well.
Overall Look: 14/15 Great mix of color and art. Looks great, and keeps a consistent style.
Effects: 5/5 Great use of effects. Some of the best effect use I’ve seen in flowlab.
Overall: 28/30

Creativity
Uniqueness: 7/10 Art style stands out and so does the movement gimmick, but nothing else I haven’t seen before yet.
Fits: 7/8 Creativity fits the game mostly right.
Enjoyable and Fun: 4/7 The jumping gimmick can be a bit annoying sometimes, but it doesn’t ruin the game.
Overall: 18/25

Difficulty & Balance
Feels balanced: 2/8 Difficulty barely progress in infinite mode.
No Bugs: 1/2 Often the jumping system jumps at a weird time and the semi solids seem to activate while you are in the middle of the object, not on top yet.
Overall: 3/10

Personal Rating: 6.5/10
Great art, but falls a bit short due to poor infinite execution. Sounds still need to be added, but the game has good potential.
Overall Rating: 6.5/10 (Rating without sounds considered: 7.22)
Really not much to say about this game, idk what you could continue to add to a simpler concept like FOXER is. But if you add the right things you can greatly increase the games replay value and hopefully make it less repetitive.

I think that these should be added to level design:

• Springs
  • Bombs to fling player
  • Dark sections where torches actually do something
  • The higher you get, the more enemies and stuff starts to happen.
  • Homing missiles
  • Naturally spawning traps
5 Likes

Thanks for the review, very in depth as always. But first, how far did you get? What was your score?

1 Like

i got to 11k, but it didn’t show up on the leaderboard because i kept opening the editor to check on stuff

1 Like

Oh, that makes sense, the next stage happens at 13k somewhere around there because the chunks will have been preloaded before and push it higher

the dailly challenge would be nice if it was actually daily…

1 Like

Hahaha… I know I have been slacking on that, but it takes time out of my precious screen time, but I have made a bunch of new stuff, so that will be implemented tmrw

3 Likes

@Galactian

I have made a new update on my game. please review it.

Link:

Opening this up again, however I’m establishing a new rule so I don’t quit again so quickly

I’ll review people’s games but depending on how willing I am to review it different games will get less or more in depth reviews

Idc if this doesn’t benefit you, it allows more people to get their game reviewed as the reason most of these reviewing topics die so quickly is the person reviewing either gets too many games or games that aren’t ready for a review and are requested to fill out a super in depth review on a game they don’t want to review

Also the 1 review rule is still here, you only get 1 review from me, but i’ll give you multiple reviews if i find the games fun as obviously it’s more fun to review a fun game than a boring one

6 Likes